Mark as Read and Title Length

Am I missing it? How do I mark things as read?

Also how do I mark notifications as seen without following them?

Also title length minimum of 15 characters might be a little long, had to add this on as it wouldn’t accept “Mark as Read”

1 Like

One for @DeanMarkTaylor

Hi,

#Mark as Read
You can only mark things as read by reading them.
You can mark things as read as explained here:

Say you have some notifications like this one:

You can click the icon to dismiss the notification to display the list and click it again and the counts will disappear.

Notifications will not appear on the list after sufficient time has passed - you don’t have to click on them - only those with OCD like me will feel the need to click on each and every single one.

#Title Length
Title length is an important factor, we need decent descriptive titles to help users find the topics in the future. It’s all about quality of the site.

There are so many bad topic titles and the same ones repeated over and over historically, over time the forum we’ll be better for it - you will be able to find things when you want them.

It’s part of what makes the search feature more awesome!

2 Likes

I also have OCD (not really but I’d a bit weird) and am spending a lot of time clicking them all to make them all the same colour again! Can we add a little button like Facebook has to change them?

I agree a decent title is a key factor, however we see a lot of “My New Car” which is a good title but wouldn’t meet the criteria. Are we just going to create an issue, because personally I’d try to change it to work, but I know some people who would just fill the characters with symbols i.e. “My New Car ~~~~~~~”

I think time will tell - title uniqueness and length it’s important enough not to change right now.

Regarding “Mark as Read” I’ll add the feature request upstream and we’ll see if it gets included.

You can actually mark all of the unread items in one go here:

There is also the same kind of buttons on the “New” tab.

Also if you are no longer interested in a topic you can change how you are monitoring it.

At the bottom of each post you will find this:

More details here: