MK1 Polycarbonate engine covers

Greetings ALL, anyone interested in getting a set of high quality heat and chemical resistant polycarbonate engine covers ? These covers I had gotten made for my MK1 GTO.

2 Likes

Hi are you selling a set? Is it new or used? How much your after if selling?
Jerry

Just so you know Sammi these fit only the early Two bolt engines.

The four bolt engine are different as the stand cam covers are also different too

Yes thanks I’m aware of that. That is why it states MK1 as you guys call it or we call it 3000gt

I would love a set, just don’t think my wallet would like the price of them !

Hi, the ones pictured are mine and have already been installed as seen in the pics. But if you want a set let me know. For a short story behind the idea of making these covers, here it is:
Previously I bought a set of clear cam covers from 3sx.com which had very bad fitment and quality, then I decided to get the cam covers made by a friend of mine that owns a few automotive component fabrication businesses in China and asked her if she could fabricate the cam gear and lower timing cover which I thought would be a great idea since no one out there has ever made a lower timing cover in particularly for our cars, and now we can see a whole bunch of stuff and an ideal thing to have for a show car.
I sent her the factory covers and she got the 3d design and mold done and the sent me the sample which took almost a year!!. I was amazed at the fitment in particular, 100% exact match to the factory covers, especially the lower cover that has numerous intricate designs which are so critical so there is absolutely no interference between the pulley’s and belt to the inside of the cover. I also tested the covers by applying heat to it with a heat gun, obviously not going over 100f degree’s and keeping the distance and there was no discoloration or damage that can even been seen with a magnifier. I did not go past 100F using a temp gauge but I am sure they can withstand more to a reasonable amount until there is damage, but then again if you have serious engine bay temps then you have an issue. Then there was a chemical test using gas, oil, brake fluid, poured a small amount on it and rubbed it in and no damage or discoloration. Then again one needs to be careful not to intentionally spill stuff on it. Now for fitment, as I said it is 100% identical to the factory cover, however the only thing she forgot to do is emboss the timing marks but she will make them down the road. Unfortunately, I own a first gen, MK1 and so sent her my factory covers to make, perhaps in the future we can get these covers made for other years. Now the big question is price, as these covers were made specially for my GTO I am not business but just an enthusiasts like yourself and will set up a reasonable price for all the interested members. I have to get in touch with her about price shipping cost and shipping time and obviously there shall be provisions with returns and warranty, after all I would hate to get a bad reputation for selling garbage and ripping people off of their hard earned money!!

In addition regarding price, one should consider the going price for the cam covers that 3sx. com sells, bad quality and fitment stated by reviews from other GTO forums and the clear timing covers sold for the Subaru boxer engines that are all made of acrylic plastic and not poly-carbonate a very BIG difference and the prices anywhere between 600 to 900 us dollars. So I am also doing my research and will set a reasonable price. This shall only be offered as a set, meaning, two cam gear covers and one lower timing cover which is the star of the show :grinning:

Sorry I meant to say First Gen and not 3000GT

Hi I didn’t realise your in the USA I was just thinking 2 to 300 pounds but as from the USA I understand the post aswell going to be massive.
6to 900 is too much for me not to mention post and charges. With Christmas coming aswelll my partner would kill me lol

Good luck with the sale though.
Jerry

1 Like

Hi Jerry, if you do your online research , the going price ONLY for a timing cover offered by several businesses for the Subaru boxer engines are anywhere from $300 to as much as $900 and these are all plastic and around 400 usd dollars ONLY for the 3sx cam covers which I do believe are poly-carbonate, not mentioning fitment and quality issues, so using the above as examples I would ask you this; what would be a reasonable price for the set that I should offer to our members which should include shipping charges? perhaps I should present this question to ALL that may be interested. And I shall stand by my word that these covers fit perfectly and are quiet durable and will honor a full refund or replacement if the item arrives damage or simply is defective. As far as warranty, I am not a business you can simply send me a message explaining your issues and I shall remedy them, simple as that.

Hi @sami 600>900 WOW.

A majority of us on here are normal working people with little expendable income.
We enjoy the cars, enjoy keeping them on the road and meeting up.

It is 500 with shipping, if you find it with a lesser price let me know, that is finding one, which I highly doubt since the clear timing cover for the GTO first generation is the first of its kind on planet earth :rofl: :rofl:

And then again forget about the fancy looking covers, what about the other stuff one needs to buy to keep these classic cars up and running and road worthy? common sense only tells me that it is expensive to maintain such vehicles that were legends in its time and lucky are those that own one.

Interesting thread on the clear covers :+1:

The price issue is always a factor. For me items like this are a ‘nice to have’ but parts that are required to keep the car running and happy- ‘essential’ parts will always take precedence.

Unfortunately I have a MK2 car so I’m out but good luck with the sale :+1:

James

3 Likes

MK2 covers are being made hopefully soon. Most people think they are made out of plastic I like em and it was entirely my idea
I always imagined being able to see all my hard work and view the entire belt in action and parts still being protected however there are some that run the engine without any covers

2 Likes