My 1991 GTO will not start

Hello my name is Stuart and I’m desperate for some help.
I have bought a 1991 GTO 3.0 non turbo automatic from a chap I know.
It was a runner and had a new exhaust system fitted …which I believe is now de catted.
It was MOT’ed and ran for 3/4 months until it developed a slight misfire…then it refused to start at all…he then parked it up for 3 years until I bought it off him last week.
It has a Toad alarm which I’m told are utter rubbish.
The engine turns over but when I removed 1,2,3 number plugs they were dry and did not produce a spark.
I’m not sure where to start.
Will a OBD 1 reader work with it…as far as I know it is an import.
Any advice welcomed

Thank you Stuart

90% of the time it’s the ecu caps etc the ecu dr will check it and repair it. Try to find a member close by you can do a quick swap over or get a spare off fleebay
Good luck
Dave

If 1, 2 and 3 plugs werent sparking the it more than likely rules out coils and PTU and those would all run off different coils and PTU transistor circuits. How were you checking for spark? Don’t want to say you’re doing it wrong but it would be good to double check you were doing it correctly to rule that out. Have you checked that you are getting fuel? Either hook up a fuel pressure gauge or at least check you are getting voltage at the pump when it is turning over.
Dave is right that the ECU is normally to blame but there may be a cheaper fix so worth trying 1 or 2 other things before. But to be honest it does sound like ECU.
Let us know where you are. There may be someone near you with an ECU you could borrow to try.

Also that is an import. You can tell by the lights below the pop -ups. UK 3000GT’s have sidelights that look like this:

1 Like

One other thing. Everyone has a horror story about different brands of alarms. The truth is that most of them (including Toad) are brilliant. But they are only as good as the person who installed it. Always use an authorised dealer/fitter and you shouldn’t have a problem!

1 Like

Hello…

To be honest I only took the plugs out one by one and held the metal part on a earth hook on the engine.
My reasoning for saying that it was not getting fuel was that they were dry.
I only bought the car as it was from a ex work colleague and he lost hope with it and wanted rid.
I gave £600 for it which was more than it’s worth but he needs the money as his wife is battling cancer so I didn’t mind.
I was going to be naughty the weekend and call the RAC and try and blag it with them and see if they find anything on inspection.
Like I said it did run and then the chap said it cut out and would not start.
The car is in North Leicestershire near Birstall.
Are the ECU’s interchangeable and can I use a OB1 reader on it ???
Also I’m told it had active aero spoiler on rear but I’m not sure about the front as the bumper has been painted.
Did the N/A autos imports come with the aero spoilers as I keep hearing different answers.

Thanks Stuart

You did the right thing checking the plugs. Sorry to ask but i have seen people just pull the plug and hold it in the air trying for spark and not realising they had to earth it…
Next thing to check would be that you are getting fuel. Take the return pipe off and stick it in a bottle with some tape over it to avoid spills and crank it over (these cars don’t engauge the fuel pump until it is being started). See if you get any fuel in the bottle. Let us know what you find. Chances are it is ECU.
ECU’s are not interchangable among all models but as far as i am aware there is no coding or anything that stops like for like ECU’s being swapped. Easiest way to make sure you get the right one is by the part number on the front of the unit. Unsure about the code reader issue. Someone else will be able to answer that I’m sure.

Thank you I shall try that.
Your obviously like myself,I question everything to make sure I’m doing it properly.
Yes I shall update you when I find out if it is fuelling.
I heard there is a relay called a MFI relay near the ECU that can cause no spark and no fuel.
But as you correctly said I need to check that it is or is not getting fuel then move on to the next stage…

Thanks again Stuart

I The only real issue with swapping ecu is mk2 engine was fitted in late mark ones so the ecu controls fans the mk 1 dose not. I have used the wrong wines in the past and the previous owner fitted the wrong one then fitted a fan timer instead.
You need a mk1 ecu http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/141853967509 someone’s selling this get it quick it’s very cheap I’ve Sold 2 for £150 each this year on eBay you can send it back after if not problem it’s the correct one for your car :+1:

Cheers mate…
I will pull it out the weekend and check it out…
Yes if £65 solves the issue then that’s a result

Thanks again

My mate has just had his 93 N/A Auto repaired. Just would not start so I lent him my manuals and he sorted the problem out, it was the ECU. Sent it away to the ECU Doctor and £175 squidlies later started first turn of the key, Result!!!

Terry :sunglasses:

Cheers mate…
Does anyone know how I test it ?
If that’s all it is I will be pleased
Cheers Stuart

Yeah, take it out, undo the screws holding the cover, look inside at the caps and see if any damage has been done to the board, also smell for fish??? Someone once said that the ECU can easily be checked from the smell, I haven’t had the opportunity to smell anything just lately due to a real sh1tty cold, but fish Mmmmmmmmmmm!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Thought I’d better say it before @CDMH does :joy:

Terry :sunglasses:

1 Like

You guys are fantastic…
Thanks mate…
I shall check it the weekend and let everyone know what the outcome is…
Feeling happier now

Mine didnt smell so dont be dissapointed if you cant smell scampy nicknacks. I could just about make out a small blister of silicon on one of the blue capacitors maybe as the silicon didnt go all over the rest of the electronics? . I did post a photo of it on here will try and find it but its gone from my phone.

Found it…
http://forum.gto.club/t/non-starter/38841

Mine had no signs but wouldn’t even start the car it’s not always visible £220 from ecu doctor and perfic but I did use second hand units to check and it’s best to keep a spare tbh

Hi thanks…it won’t let me view it

Hi,

This link will not work as its a technical section which is only accessible to full members only.

Cheers,
Neil.

1 Like

have you considered full membership there’s a great wealth of knowledge, advice and access to the technical sections. As well as access to all the great club events and subsidies that only GTO UK provides to it’s members.

1 Like

Best £20 you will ever spend :+1:

I shall join thanks

2 Likes