My 1991 GTO will not start

Yeah, take it out, undo the screws holding the cover, look inside at the caps and see if any damage has been done to the board, also smell for fish??? Someone once said that the ECU can easily be checked from the smell, I haven’t had the opportunity to smell anything just lately due to a real sh1tty cold, but fish Mmmmmmmmmmm!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Thought I’d better say it before @CDMH does :joy:

Terry :sunglasses:

1 Like

You guys are fantastic…
Thanks mate…
I shall check it the weekend and let everyone know what the outcome is…
Feeling happier now

Mine didnt smell so dont be dissapointed if you cant smell scampy nicknacks. I could just about make out a small blister of silicon on one of the blue capacitors maybe as the silicon didnt go all over the rest of the electronics? . I did post a photo of it on here will try and find it but its gone from my phone.

Found it…
http://forum.gto.club/t/non-starter/38841

Mine had no signs but wouldn’t even start the car it’s not always visible £220 from ecu doctor and perfic but I did use second hand units to check and it’s best to keep a spare tbh

Hi thanks…it won’t let me view it

Hi,

This link will not work as its a technical section which is only accessible to full members only.

Cheers,
Neil.

1 Like

have you considered full membership there’s a great wealth of knowledge, advice and access to the technical sections. As well as access to all the great club events and subsidies that only GTO UK provides to it’s members.

1 Like

Best £20 you will ever spend :+1:

I shall join thanks

2 Likes

Great stuff, have you been along to a meet yet?

Hi just checking if I was to buy the one on eBay…are there any issues with keys or transponder codes or are these not revent for these car…
Are there transponders in these keys ???

Just joined…

4 Likes

No transponders in these keys nor are the ecu’s linked to flywheel etc , in that respect these are are simple :laughing:

If you have the right ecu it will be plug and play

Craig :smile:

1 Like

As Craig @CDMH says mate :+1: welcome to the members sections :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

If you pm me your chassis number, iI can let you know what ecu it should have.
I have mitsubishi’s parts system.
Marty

2 Likes

Just an update…

I have checked everything I can and now have taken the ECU out.
Upon removal and inspection I can clearly see that one of the capacitors has indeed leaked.
Boxed up and on its way to the ECU Doctor Monday.
I will update when I refit it …fingers crossed :smiley:

3 Likes

My ECU has just been rebuilt at The ECU Doctor…
£185 plus vat…
Hopefully I will get it back Monday the 25th…
I’m like a 6 Year old waiting for Christmas Day :joy::joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

Well thank you guys for your spot on diagnostic.
It now starts first time every time :grinning:
Now off for MOT and see where it goes from there…

Thanks again Stuart

3 Likes