New Member in Scotland

Hi all,

Stephen here up in snowy Scotland just west of Edinburgh.

Have started looking seriously at first generation GTO’s/300GT’s (I’m a sucker for a pop-up headlight) and firstly would like to thank you all for the wealth of info here. I already feel like I’ve learnt loads and the comprehensive buyers guide helped me narrow down what I’m actually after. My only remaining concerns are with headroom being 6’1 and it getting mentioned in a lot of videos? There doesn’t seem to be a lot of events here up north and I’ve never actually seen one in Scotland so its hard to get close enough to gauge it for myself (and I don’t want to waste a sellers time checking in a car I’m not intending to buy).

It may be gone by the time I get a chance to go and see it but the only one fitting the bill that seems to be out there just now is a '91 import down in Doncaster. Wondering if it was familiar to anyone (or the owner may even be here) to see if I’m making an error thinking of buying the first example I get my eyes on. Seems clean with fairly low mileage and all electrics working…

Autotrader Ad

…any further advice/guidance much appreciated.

Otherwise I look forward to eventually finding a car for myself and bringing another GTO up to Scotland!

Thanks

Stephen

1 Like

Hi and welcome

Cars without sunroofs have more headroom , in my original gto without a sunroof I could comfortably wear my sunglasses on top my head without issue in my 3000gt with an electric sunroof they kept hitting the roof .

Plenty of 6ft plus guys on here who cope though

Craig

2 Likes

Welcome to the club Stephen.
As Craig said sunroof and moonroof models definitely have less headroom.
Main things I would be looking at when buying would be,
Underside corrosion.
Well maintained and serviced.
Usually you will find enthusiasts cars are well maintained.
We have a members cars sales section on the forum.
Cambelt kits can cost 1k + with labour so important to take this into consideration if it’s not been done.
Don’t rush into buying the first car you see.
Get a good one and you will love it.
A problem or project car can end up costing ££££
And cause a lot of headaches.
We have loads of how to’s in the full paid member section, and loads of technical info.
This can be great knowledge to have when looking at cars and knowing what’s ahead in dealing with any issues.
A lot of things you will be able to tackle on your own to save some money.
Full membership is available in the club shop.
Post up info of any potential cars you come across, as a lot of these cars are known to some of our long term members who can help you with info.
Jensen

2 Likes

The car you linked looks good on mot history check.
Has Rare wind deflectors on,and what look like oe mud flaps again fairly rare.
Nice low mileage
Very good price if the car is in good shape.

Hi Stephen welcome to GTOUK good advise above and best place to be if You thinking of buying a GTO / 3000GT, few of us up here and few events on the cards for the summer, keep in touch don’t hesitate to contact me if You need something !

3 Likes

Thanks for the replies already and good to know that there is a decent presence up North, I’ll need to keep a better look out once the weather improves (been a 4 seasons sort of week here!). Now you mention it the headroom does only come up on videos with sun roofs fitted so maybe I’ll add that to the checklist. If that linked car doesn’t work out I’ll continue my search and at ~£20 for the year, a full membership seems like a no-brainer once I have a set of keys in my hand.

Is the sales section in the full forum just parts or is there cars for sale there too?

Stephen

1 Like

You should be able to view the members cars for sale Stephen.

Here’s link
https://forum.gto.club/c/classifieds/gtos-3000gts

2 Likes

Hi again, sadly the one I was after went to the first viewer. However been keeping an eye out and have a couple more that have taken my interest if anyone would be happy to give an opinion…

Autotrader link

Been up for a while on several sites and has relatively high milage (MOT check mileage also appears to be in km??) If it’s been well maintained is this something that should be worried about? Price also seems higher than some others (reason for not selling yet maybe?) but again might be in great nick.

and…
Auction Link

Not much to judge on this one and have requested further details but fairly unmodified mk1 as I’m after. Don’t want to read too much into the price since it’s an auction. MOT history isn’t great but it might have had all the work done well.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Stephen

Hi Stephen the first one looks very tidy and if what he says is truth and rust free price is ok I’ll say ! Ask when the timing belt was last replaced, a Genuine Mitsubishi Basic Cambelt Service Kit is around £400 ! http://www.evilempireperformance.co.uk/gto-3000gt-shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=90&products_id=387

1 Like

Will ask thanks. Hopefully I’m not just compiling a list of good examples for others on the forum to buy before I get to them!

I’m not a huge fan of those seats and the number plate does nothing for me but they are fairly easy minor changes.

1 Like

Hi Stephen did You find what You were looking for ?