Newbie - Ash

Hi all, I have just joined as just purchased what I was told was a 1998 GTO N/A but I noticed on the V5 today it says 1996 and was then imported in 2006. Would the V5 be correct? And I am also looking for some rear leather seats, doesn’t seem to be any about ?

Hi @AshBourne welcome to the club :+1:

Perhaps post a picture of the car it may give a clue to the production year - as well as it could already be known to the club via a former member.

Also we have a much larger forum available to you for the full membership which you can sign up to.

James

1 Like

Hi and welcome, check the tab at the base of the seatbelt, there should be a date on it.

1 Like

I think that car used to be a former members and had a hoop spoiler so suspect it is a MK3- although they are the same as a Mk2- just with a facelift bumper and spoiler- also with no active aero- even on the MK3 TTs

1 Like

Hi Ashley PM me your cars VIN number and i will let you know your cars Build date not it UK registration date.

I also Have a 3000GT leather complete interior for sale for £650 if your interested and i am only across the water in Southend

Regards Rob

1 Like

Welcome Ashley, have just seen this, welcome aboard. Is the car not standard and is it a different bonnet?

Terry :sunglasses:

1 Like

Welcome to GTOUK, Mk 3 style GTO, great looking car.
Try and get the hoop spoiler back on.
If you get the leather interior, easy swop over for seats and doorcards.
Could be a 96 build but not sold in Japan until 98, I had a early 96 mk 2 (really 94/5 model)that had a UK s reg on it. Was in the Jap showroom for a good while !!
Good luck

1 Like

Hi rob,

Thanks for your response. Good to know your local too!

Vin is Z15A0300391

Would you sell just the rear seats?

The car was also supplied with a new cam belt and water pump kit too. Who would you recommend in south east to fit? I think it’s best I get it done in the coming months.

Many thanks,

Ash

The car should never overheat with the normal bonnet fixings…

Little fan and big fan should kick in before it overheats.

2 Likes

Was Made on the 1st December 1996 and is a NON Turbo Car

Try Westfields in Rayleigh 01268-783205 they are probably the bast in the UK now when you call them as for Ian.

Is the cam belt kit Genuine Mitsubishi as they will not fit eBay etc parts

Sorry i do not want to split the Leather interior

Regards Rob

1 Like

Thanks for that Rob,

I’ll give them a try when looking to get it replaced. They don’t look like genuine parts.

Did you buy that car from Pete Harrison?

@just_cool Yea I did!

Thought I recognised it. Just asking as I thought I knew the car.

Here’s a picture of it in the garage.

1 Like

Welcome to the GTOUK Forum. You are in good hands fella. Nice car - in the correct colour of course. I also run an NA, but it’s much older than yours. As Nick has already said, no need to lift the bonnet at all. If there are no engine issues historically, then these cars are quite capable of keeping to a stable temperature.
The cambelt kit should ideally include other parts as well. A new belt and water pump are not quite the whole story.
Rob might be able to supply the correct parts for you on that front, although I believe the hydraulic tensioners are scarce nowadays. The fitting of a new cambelt is not a 5 minute jaunt, but is do-able if you have the tools, and know one end of a spanner from the other. There’s a guide on this Forum about that.
Failing that, as Rob has mentioned, the only people that feature on this site whom have a vast amount of experience fixing these cars are Westfields, who are based not too far away from him.
Registration and build dates do vary a lot. Mine is a late '92 NA, but my registration plate begins with the letter L…
Enjoy your car fella. You’ll be turning a few heads…

Mike

1 Like

@dodgemonkey thanks for the welcome and advice! I believe i also have a couple of tensioners and gaskets so hopefully the full kit. I will double check!

1 Like

Just check the water pump comes with the 2 parts together not a half as if not genuine is more than likely half a pump,and if your doing the job or a garage its worth changing g the full water pump and ad for the belt make sure at least is gates and not other inferior makes
Anyways welcome aboard nice gto

Jerry

1 Like

Just saw this up for sale on Facebook. Mitsubishi 3000GT/GTO Sales UK
Decided it wasn’t for you?

Hmm - also the price has doubled since the last time this car was listed.

James