Poss group buy on TT parts

Hiya guys,

I discovered today that the engineer i know/use is in fact the contractor to FOM (Formula One Management). He does ALL of Max Mosely and Co’s designs and fabrication of aluminium and stainless equipment for Formula 1.

He was round my house last night and we got chatting while doing a few odds and ends for me…

I am thinking about doing a group buy on the inter cooler Pipe work. Now before anyone gets over excited…there are quite a few things i need to consider. Do we JUST do the three hard pipes in light weight Ali… or do we get a complete set made like HKS etc…but for the STOCK inter coolers ?

The reason behind the idea is while we were messing about with my manifolds i mentioned about the inter cooler pipe running just above the exhaust header…he said we should use Ali as its MUCH lighter…but more importantly it will radiate the heat much quicker and reduce the risk of increased charge temps. At the very least they will be far easier to polish and be a visual improvement of note ! and as a bonus we ‘could’ see a reduction in charge temps too…

So… Any one interested ?

Just the 3 hard pipes or the Whole set up ?
What do you think is a REASONABLE price to pay for either ?

Any ideas on what will or wont work ?

IF there is interest i will speak further to the guy. He wont be the cheapest but i can guarantee the best welding and work you have ever laid your eyes on :shock:

1 Like

I would say you need to be careful with what pipes you do in alloy and with what alloy, anywhere that the intercooler pipes could rub on the body such as the passenger side chassis leg opening will kill ally pipework in no time.

On Dannys 3000GT with a pit road m intercooler kit the rear turbo pipe rubbed on the underside of the bonnet a little by the cam wheel covers (im talking just under a 5p size mark) - within a short trip of 20 miles from evil empire to my house it had flat spotted the pipework, if i hadnt checked it when i got home it would have rubbed through with continued use!

Light weight piping is good, as long as the holes are where you want them! :lol: :lol:

1 Like

ALSO- If he is that good im going to want a custom plenum made at some point soon :lol:

1 Like

I agree on that. The Pipes will be fabricated ON a car so they will fit BETTER than the stock ones IMO, This guys is so fussy i saw him remake a part cos it was 1mm out across a 5 ft length of the pipe :shock:

The holes will indeed line up…unlike most crap available out there :roll: :lol: :lol:
And i will chat too him and see if custom plenum is something he will do. Do you have drawings ?

1 Like

Im sure i can get my crayons out and come up with something! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

unlike ss alloy corodes fairly quickly if not maintained, maybe anodised in different colours too!

Tony

1 Like

A plenum for the TT would be good that doesn’t sit over the rear plugs and that doesn’t require moving the t-sat.

1 Like

Intercooler (FMIC) pipework… tick.

1 Like

Problem with this is EVERY one fits(or doesn’t :lol: ) differently so there would be no jig to make and use, where as a STOCK smic setup will all be the same.

1 Like

Don’t go too thin with the pipe work, or the Mikalor Clamps may put too much presure for them :wink:

1 Like

[quote]

Problem with this is EVERY one fits(or doesn’t :lol: ) differently so there would be no jig to make and use, where as a STOCK smic setup will all be the same.

8)[/quote]

Nah…provided the front pipes to the FMIC are straight then if somebody uses a different cooler they can be cut down.

so noughting for the n/a lot then :frowning: can i have a set of ball bars made for mine so i can smash into the back of the boys racers that try and do me of the lights ever damn night. they never win cos i dont challange them…

but on a note, can you get hard pipe for the rad???

I’m no expert on this but have fitted my own, I think the pipework needs to be made to fit a generic 600x3000x76 or 100mm front mount, what size pipework are you going have? imo 76mm is quite large,unless you have very larger turbo’s over the 13T’s that most owners fit, I have 13g’s with 2.5 inch 63mm on mine and it works well, the only 76mm pipe required would be the one that goes to the throttle body, or you could look at what sizes others have used to make these kits, depending on pipe lengths there is the pulsing problem too!

Tony

[quote]so noughting for the n/a lot then :frowning:

but on a note, can you get hard pipe for the rad???[/quote]

I/We will indeed be doing quite a few bits for GTO TT’s, N/A’s and 3000GT’s
Just sorting out stuff with the forum and fabricator and things should start developing soon.

Also need to make sure some of the stuff i sell does not step on any toes either :wink:

[quote]I’m no expert on this but have fitted my own, I think the pipework needs to be made to fit a generic 600x3000x76 or 100mm front mount, what size pipework are you going have? imo 76mm is quite large,unless you have very larger turbo’s over the 13T’s that most owners fit, I have 13g’s with 2.5 inch 63mm on mine and it works well, the only 76mm pipe required would be the one that goes to the throttle body, or you could look at what sizes others have used to make these kits, depending on pipe lengths there is the pulsing problem too!

Tony[/quote]

Indeed, the FMIC I have is that size. I reckon it should be 76MM from the outlet to the throttle body and 50mm would do easily for the inlets, combined into a 76 with a Y pipe (usual method) to feed into the FMIC.

In view of that I don’t see why it shouldn’t be possible to make a ‘generic’ FMIC pipe kit?? It could be fabbed up on my car if needs be.

any news on this ???

Yes and no… :?

Whilst the guy is amazing at what he does and the quality of his work is outstanding…He is rather sloooowww on any sort of progress. Ie I took him nearly 2 weeks to weld my alloy !

What worries me is if i commit too getting stuff made…I dont want everyone on my back wanting stuff while he takes his usual leisurely time. I would understand people being hasty cos im the same…if i order something i expect it sharpish.

I will chat further with him and see what he will commit too. Results may be better as the Formula one season comes too an end.

I n e e d t h e f m i c p i p e w o r k d o n e s o m t i m e b e f o r e 2 0 1 2

God, that took a while to type…

I would be interested in the standard set up for TT either just the three pipes or the complete set depending on cost. Have just started looking at the options for the intercooler and turbo pipe work and some of what’s out there looks scary prices and the comments I’ve heard aren’t very complimentary.

These days I’m having to be very careful with my wish list to get it past the other half

[quote]I’m no expert on this but have fitted my own, I think the pipework needs to be made to fit a generic 600x3000x76 or 100mm front mount, what size pipework are you going have? imo 76mm is quite large,unless you have very larger turbo’s over the 13T’s that most owners fit, I have 13g’s with 2.5 inch 63mm on mine and it works well, the only 76mm pipe required would be the one that goes to the throttle body, or you could look at what sizes others have used to make these kits, depending on pipe lengths there is the pulsing problem too!

Tony[/quote]

I have the CX Racing 2.5 pipework but connected onto a 100mm core fmic with little or no fitment problems at all, so a standard pipework set up would i think be ok.

Julian.