Pro and cons of bleeder valves

Originally posted at Aimoo - http://www.aimoo.com/forum/postview.cfm?id=308930&CategoryID=19539&startcat=1&ThreadID=36027

[quote]any ideas of where i can get a bleed vavle for a GTO TT import…

i manged to leave a tube off mu intercooler y pipe and it went like stink but went up to full boost o the turbos… ut it backon sharpish… but is there anythong that can give it that kick without hurting the engine etc. too much…

cheers

tony…[/quote]

[quote]Check out Roger Gerl’s website, and the 3Si site (both on resource links page) for various options.

Uncontrolled boost is very dangerous, and will lead to expensive bang in the engine department, and evein bigger bang in the wallet to fix it. This is probably what u had with the pipe left off.

Bleeder valves are a good first start, cheap, but need very careful stting up, and if u dont get it right - BANG!

i have read that u can get variable boost, sometimes wavy behavior as the ecu cuts boost or timimg due to knocking, not sure of details tho, if u do decide to fit a bleed valve, check out pitfalls and dangers yourself.

Good luck, let us know if it works ok,

Ewan.[/quote]

[quote]Cheers guys…

will have a knock at installing a bleed valve and aftermarket boost guage… any recommended manufacturers for these…

i just loved that kick the beast had when the tube was off…

thanks again…

will let you know what happens…

Tony[/quote]

[quote]That wont be the only knock you have,i promise you.Oh and let me know when you need a rebuild cos i know a man who can get complete replacement recon GTO TT engines usually with turbos too for about £2,500. My new engine set me back a total of £4,500.Seriously though after all that happened to my TT after installing the bleed valve i would definately reccommend you splash out that little bit more for a boost controller,that way you will have a digital AND accurate/fully reliable reading of boost level.
Also just a quick point, make sure you are running a decent and fairly new set of plugs and a cooler grade if possible,that way if you do get any problems you’ll know that it shouldn’t be anything to do with the spark blowing out under boost or bad ignition of the charge!
I really hope you do take everyone’s advice on this matter cos it will save money in the longer term.
Good luck
Paul[/quote]

[quote]I really can’t stress how much of a bad idea this is.

get a boost controller!..it is much safer

if you go ahead with this don’t go over 1 bar with stock injectors[/quote]

[quote]Hi Tonymax

I think you have the general feeling that this is an expensive experiment…

I can just concur with, I think 90% of the people…

Buy a boots Controller.

Cheers

Mark[/quote]

[quote]if you really go through this. fit a boost guage and don’t go over
1 bar

There are some really good boost controllers around :slight_smile: [/quote]

[quote]ok guys… im listening,

ill go for a boost controller… there was a supplier at the japs show… can anyone recomment any others…

ill forget the bleed valve… sounds a little too risky and i dont want t harm my baby…

cheers guys…

Tony[/quote]

[quote]check ou this link for some ideas
http://webm31b4.ntx.net/mods.htm

there is also a new controller from Apex’i wit a funky blue dispay.

Hope this helps, ewan.[/quote]

[quote]I got a hks Works real well

but there are others on the market[/quote]

[quote]Blitz DSBC is good. Mine works well and you still get the extra kick but without the scary consequences. Someone mentioned RTEC.ch I would highly recommend a read before risking the bleed valve method.

In addition with the blitz you can have 4 driving profiles at the flick of a switch so if you suddenly want to go from std (8 to 10PSI) upto borderline looney (1 bar or more if you dare) then it is there to do.

Definately a worthwhile mod[/quote]

[quote]Added as a good discussion on the pros and con of bleeder valves

PLEASE CHECK THE LINKS IF YOU ARE SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING THIS MOD

It can be done, but generally, unless you REALLY keep an eye on your boost levels, your will shag your engine/turbos.[/quote]