Prospective GTO owner

I’ve seen a Jap spec GTO twin turbo on PH and am wondering if you guys could check it out for me and tell me what you think. Here’s the link.

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/mitsubishi/3000gt/mitsubishi-gto-3-0-v6-twin-turbo-manual/1594434

I’ve spoke to the owner and there are a few uncertainties at the moment. He doesn’t know what the coil overs are. I’m unsure it has them at all as
he said it had new KYB shocks fitted to the front. The restoration and storage is obviously a concern too. He’s also said there is no active aero system is this correct for the jap version? If it’s all okay is £4350 a
fair price for one of these cars.

Also are the jap GTO much slower than the uk vr4 version.

Any views/opinions on this ad will be much appreciated.
Cheers.
Si

First of all, welcome to the club.

I’ve had a quick look over it and it looks OK!! I’m not a fan of body kits personally but it looks like it’s been done well. Those wheels are expensive for a start. I’d be surprised if it’s truly over 300bhp, probably closer to 280. I can definitely tell the difference between my UK car (302bhp) and a standard GTO, but both are pretty quick if you’re used to normal non tuned cars.

Price wise, I’d say it’s a bit keen to be honest. These cars do seem to be holding their price a bit more lately. I’d check for service receipts, a proper cambelt service is about £300 in parts alone so unless there’s proof of it being done recently, I’d factor that into the price, and a trip to Eurospec wouldn’t go a miss either.

Best of luck, I hope it turns out to be a good one for you.

Staff

The lack of active aero will be down to the bodykit.

Neil

I believe the kit is the samurai kit… Def second what nas said about active aero.
I like some body kits ( lol mine :slight_smile: )

Also note too anyone & everyone…was this car once at Jae? I seem to remember it in the photos. 2003

Welcome to the club dude :slight_smile:

Welcome to the club.

From the photos it looks well done. It has the same bov as mine had. Dont see many of those HKS bov’s.

As far as performance. I dont think there is any real performance difference between the UK 3000GT and the GTO. Sure different sized turbos, different boost as stock and different emissions limiting solutions but i have never seen any difference in stock performance.

I would say that looks a fair price if everything is in order and a proper cam belt service was done. I also believe good examples are now fetching a higher price. About time too.

André

Cheers for the warm welcome and decent replies so far guys.

This GTO seems fairly standard as far as engine mods go. What would be the best way to get her running more like 350 bhp?

In all honesty dude from my own observations the guys on here that modify the motors know an awful lot about cars and even any simple engine mod can cause these cars to be fickle … Not trying to put you off but why do you want to get 350bhp? These cars are ■■■■■■ quick anyway… Mine regularly beasts my best mate focus st, scoobies, n evos.
My cars heavily bodykitted similar to the white one your looking at and it’s difficult to drive these at speed on track days etc without ripping the body kit off.

Yeh I’m under the impression they’re not the easiest beasts to live
with. But I’m used to this. To be honest I drove a twin turbo one a few months back and I wasn’t bowled over by the pace! Hence the question about more power. That said though these cars tick enough boxes for me to be considering one. I.e. gorgeous/ v engine / rare.

Hi Fella

Welcome to GTOUK :slight_smile:

Getting 350hp nowadays isn’t that hard the groundwork has been done over the years quite a few are now in the 500+ bracket and one is in the 1000+ bracket but that’s a whole different league :lol:

The main thing is how much you are looking at spending , ideally you want 350hp you want to make sure its reliable and safe as best as it can be (as once you deviate from stock everything gets strained )to do this isn’t as cheap as throwing a boost controller on and cranking the boost up .

You need to make sure the car is healthy before hand , ideally cambelt change fuel filters , possibly getting injectors cleaned and all your fuel system in A1 condition , you need to log the car before and during setting up to make sure its safe and not knocking or maxing out your injectors .

It is a bit of a minefield but once you have driven a tuned car you would never go back to stock , completely different animals

The above is just scratching the surface really , best thing to do is get the car drive it for a bit get to know it and get comfortable then start playing with it
Craig :slight_smile:

A lot depends on the individual car and engine but an EBC should get you to between 330-360 BHP. However don’t do it without logging for knock or get it done by somewhere with a dyno, that way you’ll get your power figure too.

André

Welcome,
The one your looking at looks good, I would want to know what was done in the restoration. If you want more power just buy this one all the works been done for you.

Cheers for the responses guys and sorry for the late response. I’m still considering a GTO but finding one right for me isn’t easy. I’ve just seen this one on piston heads and it looks promising. Uk vr4, the one I want. The price is very cheap though I think… Why? Can you guys take a look see what you think or let me know if you’re familiar with the car.

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/mitsubishi/3000gt/mitsubishi-uk-3000-gt-v6-4wd-4ws-not-gto---------------1997/1721880

Your thoughts or opinions on it are greatly appreciated.
Thanks again.

I certainly know the guy that’s selling it anyway , He is on here username Paulw.

Drop him a pm, the car is for sale in the sales section on here

Craig :slight_smile:

Sounds like a fair price for what seems like a good car. Allowing for the rust bubbles, bodywork and leather that will need addressing.

89k was quite late for the cambelt service so i would check the other service history in detail, but it sounds like you have another 36k before it is due again.

André

[quote]Cheers for the responses guys and sorry for the late response. I’m still considering a GTO but finding one right for me isn’t easy. I’ve just seen this one on piston heads and it looks promising. Uk vr4, the one I want. The price is very cheap though I think… Why? Can you guys take a look see what you think or let me know if you’re familiar with the car.

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/mitsubishi/3000gt/mitsubishi-uk-3000-gt-v6-4wd-4ws-not-gto---------------1997/1721880

Your thoughts or opinions on it are greatly appreciated.
Thanks again.[/quote]

hello Simon.

I am the chap selling the 97 uk gt on pistonheads. I have replied to your email.

I have priced the car at this price as the condition of the body and interior would require attention for my liking, I have been honest in my listing and price. If you would like to view the car I am very close to j15 of the m6.

Paul

welcome to the club. nice choice so far as to go for the uk spec. hehehe. I second everything craig said in his welcome(cdmh) its always best to check the current condition of the engine before trying to play with its tuning capabilities.

best of luck with your purchase and hope to meet you at one of our meets soon. jon

Good luck on the purchase and welcome to the club

Good luck on the purchase and welcome to the club