Question for American members

I’ve been browsing both the U.S. Stealth forums and read about loads of 16/17 year old owners and only one complaint about high insurance. This forum (rightly) discusses insurance at great length.
Why aren’t american owners that worried about it? How do their premiums compare with ours?
Rob

As with all things U.S., they won’t stand to be ripped off as we will!
Insurance, Fuel, Food, Housing, is ALL cheaper over the other side of the pond.
(They do outnumber us somewhat as well!!)
So there economy is a tad better than ours.

It is also worth remembering that many of their cars are of lower spec that ours here in the UK.

US 3000gt & Stealth models range from Twin Turbo to SOHC Front Wheel Drive only.

Many of the 16/17 year olds you mention are quite likely not to be the owners of the higher spec models.

Justin

Yes the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

Don’t Americans need to take out medical insurance otherwise they get left to die.

As for us downunder, we don’t have compulsory insurance, just drive around with none whatsoever.

edit, 16 and 17 year olds shouldn’t be driving high powered cars.

Steve

[quote]As for us downunder, we don’t have compulsory insurance, just drive around with none whatsoever.

Steve[/quote]

huh? no insurance??? what happens ina colision?

[quote]

[quote]As for us downunder, we don’t have compulsory insurance, just drive around with none whatsoever.

Steve[/quote]

huh? no insurance??? what happens ina colision?[/quote]

If you’re reasonable you sort it out personally and privately.
If you have a gun, end of debate!
If you both have guns, biggest gun wins.
If not above, then someone sues someone else for damages.

You swap names, addresses, details and if that doesn’t work out or if somebody gets agro then you call the cops.

For older cars(well all cars) etc it is possible to get third party only insurance which is a lot cheaper.

For personal injury, the Government covers it as part of vehicle registration costs.

Steve

Where is ‘downunder’? Are we talking Australian government in the above?
And, for that matter, where is Middle Earth?

[quote]Where is ‘downunder’? Are we talking Australian government in the above?
And, for that matter, where is Middle Earth?[/quote]

Middle Earth = New Zealand

I’m not sure what goes on in NZ, but here in OZ you would be a downright Wally not to cover yourself with some form of insurance. The cost of parts for the GTO here are unbelievably high…so I just wouldn’t risk it!!!

You need to bear in mind though that Australians are all the offspring of ■■■■■■ & thieves.

Also GTOs are really cheap now in NZ.

Steve

ask audible silence about his insurance, i think he said $500 per month - thats around £3k a year!

Thats more than what my GTO is WORTH.

Steve

I posted much the same question on one of the 2 USA sites www.3squicklist.com and the responses show the main reason they can afford 4 cars per family and high insurance is because their houses are so cheap, especially compared to the home counties. Trivial mortgage payments by comparison.
Rob

Hmmm. I’ve got 5 cars, my son has 4 and he’s still living at home. Still 2 of mine don’t go and 2 of his don’t go.

Steve