Sky Insurance - Not Impressed

As well as insuring the GTO with Sky, I also have another car policy with them. After selling the Beetle, I rang Sky to obtain some quotes for a change of vehicle.

For reference, this is what I pay:

Policy 1: Mitsubishi GTO TT, 23 (when policy started), garaged, Cat.1 Alarm, 5 yrs NCB - £660 F/C.

Policy 2: Toyota Previa 2.4GL, 23 (when policy started), driveway, factory fit alarm, mirrored NCB or 1yrs - £500 TPFT - swapped to VW Beetle 1200 with no premium change due to Beetle being a LHD import.

I got a quote first for a 1987 Mercedes 300SE worth £400.
Result? Sky reckoned I would need to pay an extra £750 over the remaining 8 months to insure the Mercedes :shock: .
Same result for a Jaguar XJ 3.6 (XJ40 shape).

Feeling slightly annoyed, I got a quote for a year’s insurance for the 300SE from confused.com - £271 TPFT for a whole year.

As I was browsing the classifieds on Sunday looking for a replacement for the Beetle, I found (and subsequently bought) a 1986 Land Rover 90 2.5D.

This car I was sure would present no insurance problems whatsoever, as they are a very low insurance group. The lady at Sky responded with:
An extra £200 over the rest of the year. Yes, that means that my £500 chunk of Solihull pig-iron costs me more to insure TPFT than a £4000 300bhp Japanese supercar does FC.

An hour ago I ran a quote for the Landy though confused.com - £150 for the whole year, without any NCB. Sky is about to lose half of the business I give them :evil: , and considering I have been with them for 3 years now (2 years with two policies), i’m slightly pissed off.

The lady I dealt with (Jody/Jodie I think? - never spoke to her before) appears to have a nice telephone manner but doesn’t really seem to understand cars. I’m awaiting the policy documents through the post now (I had to accept the change of policy premium as I need the Landy for getting to work and back) and I rather suspect there will be some mistakes on them.

Has anyone else had some ridiculous change-over premiums from Sky recently?

Not ridiculous but increased by more than £50 and I have never made a claim. Means I had to go away and pi** around finding cheaper quotes elsewhere.

I though Insurance was supposed to get cheaper year on year?

I will say that Sky is a broker. same as Premium Choice.

Premium Choice couldn’t get me a good price on my Zafira, this is what I was told.

The insurance company will offer Sky, Premium Choice etc a higher price if it looks like an easy case, standard UK car, no accidents, no modified etc

But the ones that will require work like mods, imports, etc get a cheaper price for a broker as the insurance company hasn’t got to sort all the paper work out.

Mark

I just renewed with Sky and when I told them I’d got a quote £60 cheaper than theirs they instanly undercut it by £15 so it’s worth asking.

I also shopped around on Confused.com etc and nobody could beat it so Sky are still number one for me although for anything other than the GTO I’ve always found Budget to be very good.

[quote]I just renewed with Sky and when I told them I’d got a quote £60 cheaper than theirs they instanly undercut it by £15 so it’s worth asking.

I also shopped around on Confused.com etc and nobody could beat it so Sky are still number one for me although for anything other than the GTO I’ve always found Budget to be very good.[/quote]

For the GTO Sky have always been good, just not for the Land Rover. I’ve never had a problem swapping cars (swapped the policy 4-5 times last year) on the policy before, it’s just this time they seem to have gone stupid on alterations. When I renewed the GTO, I managed to get their renewal quote of £990 down to £660 just by ringing around and then getting them to price-match the best quote.

Oddly, my new certificate of insurance hasn’t arrived yet (for the Landy), and I want to read through it before I cancel the policy. I’ve rung them twice now trying to trace it and still it hasn’t arrived. Getting rather pissed off now with them :evil: .

i was qouted £1486 for my n/a renewal this year…

got it for 1039 from adiran flux and went to sky for the price match

they did in the end but wasnt going to cos they didnt beleve i had a qoute for that £. i had to give them writen prof and everything so… still think over £1000 for a n/a is to much with 4 ync not happy at all so…

def when i called them up and they said thiers no way we can get you cheaper then £1486…

sonic we sorted you a quote out for less than £1000 remember :wink:

Dave 8)

yer i know but i already gave the other bloke the go ahead 4 hours earlyer :frowning:

can you keep that qoute for a tt next year :slight_smile:

:skid:

you never know, quote may end up being cheaper on a TT next year than your NA this year. :wink:

Dave

i pay 600 for the tt with all mods declared

Well, 3 weeks have passed since I insured the Landy with Sky, and still no insurance documents. I rang them around 10 days ago to enquire as to the whereabouts of the docs, and was assured they would be with me by Monday (the 23rd of June). I gave them an extra week incase Postman Plod was being lazy, but still no sign of them. Rang them today, and the lady I spoke to says she will send a new set out recorded delivery, so I shall await their arrival.

Whilst this isn’t strictly speaking an issue with the GTO’s insurance, I know a fair few members are with Sky, as I have been for the last 3 years. Will I be with them a 4th year? Very doubtful, considering I had to chase the documents for the GTO as well :evil: .

you never know, quote may end up being cheaper on a TT next year than your NA this year. :wink:

Dave[/quote]

Dave
Are you insurance broker, if so can you let me know as just purchased tt & need insurance >
cheers Ian :wink:

It depends on who they use Scott. My GTO insurance has gone down a bit two years on the trot, but I have now insured my Golf MK5 fully comp with Swiftcover, who were nearly £100 less than the Sky quote and £30 less than they would have done TPFT for.