Thinking of buying a cheap GTO twin turbo

i found a GTO for sale for very cheap, its a twin turbo manual grey import and im not sure if it’ll be any good. i can tell from the photos that its had a colour change at some point and according to the government uk mot history checker its probably not been on the road since the late 2000s, the seller says it needs a clutch doing and he says it “runs at 2000rpm when first started, however once warm it starts to cut out”. this sounds like a mass airflow sensor to me, but id like to know what you guys think. i have always wanted one but this ones only just cheap enough for me as i’ve flipped a few cars for profit with my dad and now id like to buy this one to keep. what are some of the bigger things to look out for when viewing the car? i’m not bothered about cosmetic damage like mismatched panels and scuffs (which the car has). thanks in advance :slight_smile:
also the car is a 1990 model

also its got a couple of aftermarket interior bits which look very dated, and i would like to swap those out at some point, does anyone know where i could get them?

Hi and welcome to GTOUK , have a look at the buyers guide at the top of this section , got some good pointers to look out for

Good luck :+1:

3 Likes

oh right thank you! i’ll give that a look then, thanks for the welcome

On mine I have rust under the rubber seal for the boot, also check round all the gaiters, the rear ones I believe are no longer available

1 Like

thank you, and what do you mean by gaiters? i’m quite new to actually having cars in the real world haha

The rear steering, im not sure if you will be doing the work yourself or getting a garage, but they can be quite time consuming and not much room

1 Like

ah thank you! but yes i’ll be doing as much work as i can myself and anything i can’t do i’ll get my dad to help me with as he’s been a mechanic most of his life so mostly i’m worried about rare/expensive parts

1 Like

Most parts you will need you can get from evil empire, Rob is good and will be able to help find parts.

Its worth getting the USB stick from the shop, and the membership on here will help, im just finishing do the cambelt, all 4 steering gaiters and brake lines, spark plugs, ht leads and the lifters and used them to help me

3 Likes

ooh i’ll have a look on there then, thanks for your help!

1 Like