Transfer case / transfer box

i certainly wont be putting anything new in until someone can confirm the correct oil for gearbox and transfer box tbh my gearbox is sweet as a nut just wanted to change oil as your supposed to now and then and looking at my original cambelt that nearly cost me my engine its probably never been changed.

2 Likes

Ok so was looking at the rest of the oils I purchased. I also have this, and it is the same as what you have linked @ScottMR.

This was what Opie have told me to use for the diff!
I also will not be putting any of these oils in until I can confirm what’s right/wrong.
My main reason for buying from opie is that they are mainly an oils company. I made it clear I didn’t want to compromise on gear box oil. I wanted the best. Now I’m starting to worry.
Jensen

2 Likes

This is what ive got for my gearbox and tranny box my eyes are too bad to read the rear label my missus had to and its gl4 so all good,not sure why i assumed differently tbh,maybe because most of the threads ive read state they use gl5,sorry for the thread hyjack OP

1 Like

With this in mind gl4 is specified for gearbox and gl5 is rear diff so why have I been sold non genuine spec gl5 for my gearbox @GSXRKID ?

It says gl5 on the back of the can @ScottMR.

which oil is that @jensen360 the sync5?

1 Like

Yes mate
Jensen

ive got the race syncro,thats gl4

Yes mate race syncro is gl4.
Your link was to syn 5. And that is a gl5.
So we have the right oil. I think lol.
Jensen.

So I’ve got gl5 in from Rob as advertised for gearbox and it’s actual specification is for the differential.

Look at this:
Different syncro types… 1st gen is more sensitive.

2 Likes

I think he just has the wrong oil in the pic @DavePerky. I think he has syn 5 in the pic of what @ScottMR ordered.
But has sent out race syncro and that is gl4, and the right oil.

1 Like

Will check tonight still have a bit left from last year’s change.

1 Like

If all else fails use Ambre Solaire gearbox wont last long but youll smell lovely

2 Likes

If think that I will have to change back to GL4…

I found this: http://www.widman.biz/uploads/Transaxle_oil.pdf

Quotes:
“You need to realize that an oil with GL-4/GL-5 on the label is a GL-5. It is not appropriate for
synchronized transmissions.”

“Too much additive may reduce the wear on gears, needle bearings, and shafts in certain
conditions, but will wear out your synchronizers. You need to look for a GL-4 oil that does not
include GL-5 in its label, even though it looks good, even though it claims GL-4/GL-5 on the
label.”

2 Likes

@ms8leach thanks for noticing this! GL5 will eat away the brass in the syncros!

In my opinion it depends on the conditions of the gearbox and how You use it, can be fine for some and no so good for others, mine didn’t like it and started to get notchy. With the Red Line has been fine.

2 Likes

Red line it is then more chuffing money for nothing only changed it last ■■■■■■■ year!

Just a quick post to put your minds at rest I have asked for a Written response from Fuchs as to the labeling of the Fuchs Syn 5 and Fuchs Synchro and the make up of the oils and their respective GL4 and GL5 ratings

I was told by Silkolene technical dept that these oils are perfectly safe to be used in a GL4 requirement Gearbox Transfer Box and Diff

I have also let Opie OIls know about this and they too are perusing clarification on this too

Plus Dave Redline degrades faster than butter in an oven and would not use it ,myself or sell it to you guys

Although there is tonnes of great information on jeff’s 316 stealth site , the info can be in some cases out of date and things in industry do change.
GL4 in our gearboxes was 10 years ago a massive thing and is not so much these days as they removed the corrosive elements of GL5 years ago as everyone complained not just us Getrag users…

Lets see what Fuchs have to say on the subject

4 Likes

just so you all know, i put the titan fuchs gl4 in my gearbox and transfer case just over a week and a half ago and guess what… it didn’t explode.

3 Likes