Website hosting charges

Hello - Probably none of my business really and I don’t have the technical details so forgive me for asking but I noticed that the website hosting charges detailed in the AGM minutes are almost £3K.

That seems like rather a lot to host a site like this to me. How much is hosting going to be next year? It’s not expensive to host a high traffic site so maybe there are alternatives worth looking at if the annual charges are going to take a fair proportion of membership fees again?

well get to the agm and raise your concerns …
or as you put it stay, effin amazed ,
lots of members complained that the server was constantly going down so we voted at the agm to go this route
its open to all to attend if you cant be bothered
no good moaning later on

[quote]well get to the agm and raise your concerns …
or as you put it stay, effin amazed ,
lots of members complained that the server was constantly going down so we voted at the agm to go this route
its open to all to attend if you cant be bothered
no good moaning later on[/quote]

Cheer up sweetie :slight_smile:

Now be fair, I’m hardly moaning am I? The question was entirely constructive. Maybe do I know roughly what I’m on about and have simply raised a point concerning ongoing costs for club facilities. If I wasn’t bothered, I wouldn’t have posted the question… However, as I wrote, I don’t have the details but am interested in what someone who does have the details has to say on the matter.

Yes, the server did go down from time to time, the host clearly needed changing. No argument there.

Only being able to discuss matters like this once a year at the AGM seems at best restrictive.

ok lets have a debate on server cost and we will end up with masses of posts with people having all sorts of different ideas about what we should do then come agm none of them will turn up when it gets put to a vote so why bother
the topic may be raised at the agm .and everyone attending will have there say and vote
the agm is not restrictive its there for everyone to have there say
now as you say ,be fair and dont go slating gtouk on other frums sweetie …

Not really a great way encouraging people to get involved eh Boo? Sorry, going to the AGM gives the opportunity to vote but not going just doesn’t prevent someone from discussing club matters at other times. Unless you are going to try to tell me different… Getting masses of people to have all sorts of different ideas is generally regarded as a useful thing and if nothing else will give those able to attend the AGM something to vote on.

As far as I know I’m allowed to express my opinions, informed or otherwise, wherever I wish. I haven’t slated anyone or anything. Yes, I’m rather surprised by the cost of the website hosting which is why I posted the questions here. Again, I don’t have the technical details though. I’m not suggesting the right decision wasn’t made at the time, just asking questions. There may be alternatives, which might save the club money, who knows…

As an FYI I’m head of IT for a international software development company providing hosted IVR solutions to a number of large corporate companies in the UK and Europe so I might just have something useful to add. If however I’m not allowed to discuss anything relating to club matters because I didn’t go to the AGM just let me know, I’ll delete the thread and you won’t hear anything more about any club related matters from me again unless I’ve attended an AGM

Does someone who actually understood why I asked the question and the spirit it’s intended in have anything useful to add?

Mike the problem with the site isn’t bandwidth is it CPU usage, the reason we got drop from our last hosting company was because we were using to much CPU to be on a shared server, thus we need to be on a dedicated server.

Having said that it is still a tad on the high side, mainly because we had to move to a new server fast as the old host just dropped us without giving us notice.

Mark

OK, cheers Mark, understood. If you think there might be viable alternatives and I can help in any way please let me know.

Mike

Mike
Would you be familiar with the present hosting company, how do they rate with others out there, performance and cost wise, i’m would be interested to know mate.

Malc

Hi Malc,

I believe the host is Serverstream, I don’t know them but from the looks of things they are towards the lower end of midfield as far as costs go. There is no question that they are performing well though judging by how well the site operates and its availability.

This is not an exercise in treading on obviously experienced and capable toes but I’m happy to do a bit of legwork, look at alternatives and send over some options if it might be useful providing I can get all the requirements.

There might be options other than a dedicated server worth considering this time around or maybe an alternative host.

The previous host was a £99 cheapwebhosting.com or something along those lines IIRC so I’m not surprised they made a fuss about a site like this.