What does GTO stand for

I have heard this question being asked loads of times.

Well i may have found the answer.

The terms ‘GTO’ and ‘GT’ are European racing classifications. The Italian term, ‘Gran Turismo Omologato’, means Grand Touring class production vehicle, homologated for racing. The name came to mean a large, high-performance sports car comfortable enough for long trips or ‘touring’, as opposed to the smaller, less comfortable 2-seater ‘true’ sports car. Among the Stealth/GTO/3000GT family of cars, all of the DOHC models (both turbos and non-turbos) are in the racing class, ‘GTO’. The SOHC models are in the class, ‘GT’.

Yup, that’s right… the 3000GT is misnamed! Except for the SOHCs, the 3000GT is not in the ‘GT’ class at all, but more correctly, in the ‘GTO’ class. :slight_smile:

(Info sourced from Team3S)

Dave

:slight_smile: I did wonder what the GTO on the back of my car stood for… 8)

Thanks Dave

I can now answer the GTO question that I’ve been asked at least 20 times now.

Cheers

Graham

[quote]Thanks Dave

I can now answer the GTO question that I’ve been asked at least 20 times now.

Cheers

Graham[/quote]

I knew this would make peoples lifes more complete. :slight_smile:

Dave

Not sure if this will fit on my rear reflector strip :lol: :lol:

Think I’ll stick to the nice and simple ‘GTO’ 8)

I would hazard a guess that GTO is short for ‘Grand Touring Origination’, as it would appear FTO is short for ‘Fresh Touring Origination’.

Whatever the hell either of those are supposed to mean. Maybe we should ask Bill Murray… :smiley:

TVR are based in blackpool which is lancashire. Thuz nowt wrong wi yorkshire lad we dont pronounce mitsubishi evo as mitsoobooshi eveio like the stupid anouncer at japs :lol:

Russ

Russ my apologies
I’m so south i’m 146.4 feet from falling off. I went to Bradford in the dark once but never past the deep north of Birmingham in daylight

Deepest apologies
        Gary

It wasn’t dark mate, they just didn’t put the lights on.

Mark. :slight_smile:

[quote]It wasn’t dark mate, they just didn’t put the lights on.

Mark. :)[/quote]

Thats because electricity hasn’t reached that far yet.

Ben :slight_smile:

I’m going to move this to the frequently asked questions section.