New GTO owner introducing myself

Hi guys, I’m Mike from Weymouth, I recently bought an import '92 VR4 that’s been sat for the past 4 years. I’ve always liked these cars having owned several other Jap cars. I was looking for a project when this came up from someone I know… For the price I bought it there and then and since it’s been a bit of a money pit.
It was full of water (through the rear screen) and mouldy… I have replaced all the hoses etc, serviced, in for cam belt change next week, although now I think it needs a steering rack as on idle the steering is very heavy and juddery… need to confirm this. Nothing worse than buying loads of parts and not solving the problem
The paint was totally faded so I mopped and polished it but it’s still bad from bird muck damage etc, so I want to wait about 4-5 months to make sure that engine wise it’s ok before I give it a full respray.
It came with 18’s but the tyres despite being like new,were all cracked so I’ve renewed them and I like my cars lowered so fitted -35mm lowering springs. Also has full powerflow exhaust and decat, sounds awesome.
I have renewed all the vacuum hoses, turbo hoses, plugs, leads, fuel filter, added a dump valve… I can’t see me adding any more mods, it’s great as it is… it’s the steering rack that’s bothering me at the moment, the passenger window not operating and the nearside headlamp not sitting flush with the bodywork.
I’m not plugging my business as I’m closing down next year but if anyone’s interested, you’ll know that I will take good care of this car is everything mechanically is sorte (removed by request despite I’m closing down)
I’ve grown to like this car very much so I think it’s going to be a keeper. I have a 1975 Lotus Elite but that’s another project…

1 Like

Hi Mike Welcome to GTOUK :sunglasses:

Good to see another one saved , keep us all posted with the updates

Craig :smile:

Wait 'till @bencostello see’s this, another ‘J’ reg, he’ll be chuffed to bits :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Welcome to the club you’ll find a great bunch of people here :+1:

Terry :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Welcome car is looking good :+1:

Welcome aboard GTOUK

Steve

Yōkoso to the club :+1::joy:

Welcome mate. I like the car, the rims and black rear facia. I got identical car, black MK1. Cheers

J reg ftw!
Howdy buddy
Fletch

Btw what is the brand of those wheels? I like em :+1:

The wheels came with the car. All I know is that the centre caps say ‘dare’ and they are 8.5 x 18

haha Terry @just_cool J reg buddy!! :grin: similar story to mine stood up 13 years. Given to me as I arrived on the right day with the right attitude (or the guy liked my pretty face :wink: 4 New tyres 1 so cracked it was as porous as a tea strainer! Paint majorly damaged from tree sap and Sun bleached interior. Other than that and a slippy clutch she’s a Beaut! Obviously had all the oils, belt pulleys tensioner pump spark plugs etc changed and 4 non porous tyres lol welcome to the club mate nice to see another motor saved from being scrapped :+1::+1:

Edit: @yaryekcim2007 if you raise the headlight towards the left of it is a adjuster you should (providing the hinges aren’t bent/seized) be able to adjust the headlamp by turning the nob (lol) clockwise? Or counter clockwise.

I thought they only came in J reg form, anything else was an imposter :wink::grin:

Welcome in to the nuttery.

1 Like

Hi,

Welcome to GTOUK, also get a picture of your lotus up. :smile:

Cheers,
Neil

Thanks for all the posts, I’ve had a number of Retro Cars I have built in the in the past, my favourite was a 73 BMW 2002 touring. The Lotus will probably be the last one I’ll build. It was supposed to be 231 RX8 powered, stanced/race style but the behemoth gearbox put an end to that. Currently fully stripped pondering what to do so I bought the GTO. Will put a pic up next time I’m on the PC.
Cam belt now done :slight_smile: Now I can put my foot down. Loving it. I’ll give it 4 to 5 months and if still going well I will commit to full bodywork and respray.

3 Likes

I’m loving the car with a cheeky grin but the dump valve is not loud enough ha! Aero’s don’t work though and the passenger window.

As promised, the Lotus and thought I’d share a pic of the BMW after my restoration and mods (you can see I like Black cars - it was a standard white car when I got my hands on it) The Lotus is fully stripped now.

4 Likes

That BMW looks sweet, liking that :smile:

Neil

A lot of love and labour went into it. I will get another one day and it’ll be a keeper. But for now the GTO is getting the attention. Think it needs CV joints, might replace all the bushes, mounts, sort the passenger electric window then consider doing the body and respray. I don’t want any bodykits etc, it looks awesome as it is, just the paint lets it down. Maybe replace the seats as the rears are completely faded. I’ve bled the clutch and brakes but think the clutch needs another bleed.

1 Like

The car will feel a lot better if you sort all the bushes etc.

Neil.

Welcome to the club, nice looking vehicle!

Andy

I will invest in it after a few months of use. I’m happy it goes so well but I’ve yet to take it on a long run. Dorset has no motorways!! My son is annoyed because the passenger window doesn’t work. He wants to wind it down and shout at his class mates when we leave the school car park and listen to the growley exhaust. He’s only 7. The BM was his fave car… hopefully this will be the new one!