GTO/3000GT Model Differences

What are the differences between a GTO and a 3000GT?

As this is one of the most frequently asked questions by people who are new to the world of the GTO/3000GT, here is a list/description of the main differences between the GTO (Grey Import/Japanese Domestic Market or JDM model) and the 3000GT (UK Domestic Market or UKDM). I should point out this is not a buyers guide (the excellent and detailed guide by Mark Sturman can be found http://www.gtouk.org.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=941 ) and is not an exhaustive list of all detail differences. If there are any inaccuracies please tell me and I will alter the post accordingly.

Mk.1 GTO/3000GT.

(Standard Mk.1 GTO Twin Turbo. Photos: Scott Howard/GTO Scott)

http://hukent.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/rear4.jpg
(Mk.1 N/A owned by Hu Kent/ā€˜hukentā€™ - this picture shows how the N/A rear spoiler differs from the active aero spoile fitted to most Mk.1/2 twin turbos. Huā€™s car also has a Mk.2 centre light panel fitted. Photo: Hu Kent.)

The Mk.1 GTO was produced and sold in Japan from 1990 to 1993. They have pop-up headlamps, small ā€™snake-eyeā€™ sidelights and come in several different variants:

GTO Twin Turbo - All are 2972cc twin turbo 5sp. manual 4WD (though some have been converted to 6-speed drive trains). Some came with moon roofs and/or leather and later cars had the electric fold-in mirrors. Early cars had 16ā€ in alloy wheels, 298mm diameter vented front brakes with 4-pot calipers and single piston sliding rear calipers, while later cars had 17ā€ alloys, 312mm dia. discs with the same 4-pot calipers and twin pot calipers on the rear discs. The Mk.1 engine was also revised slightly in late ā€˜92 and the TT engine gained a 4-bolt main bearing block, relocated sensors and other minor revisions. MHI TD04-9b turbochargers were fitted to all JDM TTā€™s.

GTO N/A or Non-Turbo - A mix of automatics and 5-sp manuals, all are 4WD but not all are 4WS. Similar options list to the twin turbo (leather/moon roof/etc).

The Mk.1 3000GT was put on sale in the UK in early ā€˜93 and was very limited options wise. There was only the one model. Externally the body differed from the GTO by having headlamp washers where the snake-eyes on the GTO were placed, necessitating a different nosecone/front indicator/sidelight assembly. The rear bumper number plate cutout was also different to suit the standard size UK number plate.

3000GT - All cars are 2972cc twin turbo 5-sp manual 4WD/4WS, with the majority of cars having moon roof/etc fitted. All UK cars had the later revised engine, larger alloy wheels and brake upgrade, as well as being equipped with larger MHI TD04-13G turbos.

Extra Info on the 3000GT from ā€˜J@mesā€™ *
The front lower lights in the bumper are driving lights rather than the GTOā€™s pair of front fog lights. While they look externally identical, they have a different reflector pattern and automatically come on when main beam on the headlights is switched on. The 3000GT also has an oil level warning light on the dashboard as opposed to the oil pressure light on the GTO.

(ā€˜J@mesā€™ Mk.1 3000GT. Photo: */ā€˜J@mesā€™)

** Better photoā€™s of the Mk.1 3000GT needed! Please email suitable pictures to: [email protected]. Thanks!

There were no auto or N/A 4WD UKDM cars, if you see one for sale it is a JDM car, regardless of the 3000GT badges someone may have applied :lol: :!: You may however come across a US-spec 3000GT with an N/A engine, these were FWD only but are easy to spot due to their LHD layout and GTO-spec body parts.

All 3000GTā€™s have a 17 digit VIN number that is very different to the JDM 11 digit number, as the UK spec VIN contains colour/options/spec information, whereas the JDM cars simply have their build number prefixed by the chassis type.

Mk.2 GTO/3000GT.

http://www.gtouk.org.uk/albums/Speedball-2006/aax.sized.jpg
(ā€˜blueboyā€™sā€™ * Mk.2 GTO TT during the Speedball rally last year. Photo: Brendan Fennell/ā€˜Limahlā€™)

**The Mk.2 GTO **was sold in Japan between late ā€˜93 and 1996. They were mainly a visual revision from the Mk.1, with restyled bumpers and sideskirts, fixed-position projector headlights and a different bonnet. Mechanical changes were limited to fitting a 6-sp manual ā€˜box in the TT whereas the 5-sp manual and auto options were carried over from the Mk.1 for the N/A cars.

*GTO Twin Turbo *- Details as for the later-spec Mk.1, except for the 6-sp box.

GTO Twin Turbo MR - The ā€˜Mitsubishi Racingā€™ or MR was a lightweight TT without 4WS, ABS, ECS or Active Aeros, but was mechanically identical to the normal GTO TT. Chassis numbers for the MR should start Z15A.

GTO N/A - Details as for Mk.1.
The Mk.2 3000GT **was sold between 1994 and 2000 in the UK. Although the JDM model was to go though two more facelifts the UK model was left as a Mk.2 until GTO/3000GT production finished in 2000. Visually very similar to the Mk.2 GTO, the only real difference externally was the rear bumper cutout for the number plate. The 5-sp manual box was carried over from the Mk.1 until around two years later when it gained the 6-sp box.

3000GT - Details as for Mk.1, except for change to 6-sp drive train around lateā€™95/early ā€˜96. One model only.

*Extra Info on Mk.2 3000GT from ā€˜paulw1028ā€™ **
The Mk.2 3000GT has a towing eye cover on the N/S/F corner of the front bumper - this can be clearly seen in the front view of Paulā€™s Mk.2 3000GT below.

(Paulā€™s Mk.2 3000GT. Photoā€™s: */paulw1028)

**Mk.3 & 4 GTO.

The Mk.3 GTO** (96-98 ) was a minor revision, with a slightly different front bumper and a hoop spoiler on the rear to replace the active aero system. The range was reduced to the twin turbo MR and an N/A ā€˜SRā€™ stripped and lightened along the lines of the MR.

Extra Info for the Mk.2 GTO MR & Mk.3/4 GTO MR/SR from ā€˜3000gtā€™ *
Both cars should have chassis numbers starting with Z15A, with the following two numbers identifiying the year the car was built - 1994 = 00, 1995 = 01, 1996 = 03 etc.

(ā€˜lisaā€™sā€™ * Mk.3 MR at the Mount Edgcumbe car show in August '06. This photo shows just how different the Mk.1 & Mk.2/3 rear ends are, although all parts are interchangeable. Photo: Scott Howard/GTO Scott)

** Better photoā€™s of the Mk.3 GTO needed! Please email suitable pictures to: [email protected]. Thanks!

The Mk.4 GTO (99-00) was a more obvious restyle, with changes to the front end, sail panels, and rear wing. There were also minor mechanical revisions to the engine. The range of models as far as I am aware was continued from the Mk.3.

(Images from a Japanese auction site - the side view shows the different shape ā€˜sailā€™ or ā€˜bā€™ pillar panels that the Mk.4 had.)

I hope this helps with differentiating between the various GTO/3000GT models.

• If those people with a red star by their usernames would like their contribution credited with their real names could they please PM me and I will alter the post accordingly. Thanks :slight_smile:

Cheers 8)

3 Likes

Nice post there.
I learnt a few more things that I didnā€™t knowā€¦ :smiley:

heres some more differences, relating to the Mk1. if were going to do it, we may as well list the whole lot!!

heres my contribution:

All UK cars came with leather interior.

The GTO has fog lamps in the front, the 3000GT has driving lamps which switch with the main beam and has a different reflector pattern.

The GTO has an oil pressure warning light on the dash, the 3000GT has a level warning light

:smiley:

I vote that this gets put in the FAQ section or possibly a sticky in here. Lots of detail in it without being over the top!

Not sure about this one though cause mine is an import N/A with no 4ws however has got Z16A chassis number any ideas :? :roll:

[quote]

Not sure about this one though cause mine is an import N/A with no 4ws however has got Z16A chassis number any ideas :? :roll:[/quote]

My N/A never had 4WS and itā€™s chassis number started Z16A also.
Marty

Oh no - its can of worms time again. My understanding is that z16a means a 4wd chassis and z15a is a Fwd chassis as found on the base models that were sold in the Statesā€¦!

my understanding was n/a could be z15a and z16a

Mrk 2 with z15a are MRā€™s
Mrk 2 with z16a are not MRā€™s

and all mrk 3 and Mrk 4 are also MRā€™s with Z15a

the second number after Z15a tells you the year

1994 being 00
1995 being 01
1996 being 02 etc

First off, well done Scott and thank you for taking the time to write this up. We just need to clarify a couple of vague points and i think it will make an excellent article for the club.
Sorry, i havenā€™t read it in full yet but i will do so later.
Itā€™s nice if anyone has any other input on this too so please donā€™t be shy.

Mark. :slight_smile:

Well done GTO Scott.

Spot on mate, after all how many time has this question popped up??? Far too many.

Anyway just 1 little pointer. As far as I am aware the N/A GTO MKII only had the 5 speed box until 1994 after which it was changed to the 6 speed box.

This has got to be worth putting in the FAQ

It would be better off left pinned to the top of general, as thats where most people ask before they even look at the FAQā€™sā€¦

Iā€™ve made this post a sticky for the time being. I reckon weā€™ll leave it here for a week or 2 for people to comment and add information and photos, then weā€™ll compile the lot into a thread in FAQ referencing everyone who contributes info.

Whaā€™dya think?

Steve

Sounds good steve iā€™m sure someone else will have a bit more to add :slight_smile:

My thoughts exactly Steve - iā€™ll wait for a while before I harvest all the extra info and rewrite the post. No point rewriting it several times over :lol:

Could I also request that if anyone has a good picture of:
Mk.1 3000GT Front & Rear
Mk.2 3000GT Front & Rear
Mk.2 GTO Rear
Mk.3 GTO Front & Rear
Mk.4 GTO Front & Rear
Ideally around the 400-640 pixel width can they please post them? the pics were a last minute idea and finding good ones of standard cars before I went to bed was actually quite hard!

Cheers for the input everyone - keep it coming! :smiley:

[quote]My thoughts exactly Steve - iā€™ll wait for a while before I harvest all the extra info and rewrite the post. No point rewriting it several times over :lol:

Could I also request that if anyone has a good picture of:
Mk.1 3000GT Front & Rear
Mk.2 3000GT Front & Rear
Mk.2 GTO Rear
Mk.3 GTO Front & Rear
Mk.4 GTO Front & Rear
Ideally around the 400-640 pixel width can they please post them? the pics were a last minute idea and finding good ones of standard cars before I went to bed was actually quite hard!

Cheers for the input everyone - keep it coming! :D[/quote]

rear pic with aftermarket tailpipes.

front

hope this helps, i have some more pics if you like? donā€™t forget to mention the removealble front tow eye cover on the mk2 3000gt, not sure if they were on the mk1 3000gt??

tow eye cover on the right of this pic

paul

Scott-
May be worth droping Stu (mitsi) a p.m or he may see this, as he has owned most of the real 99 GTOā€™s that are over here at some point or another! :lol: (like his current car!) He should have some good pictures of a stock car. Cant use pics of mine because of the hood and colour, if you want to be spot on! :wink:

also Peter (ukspec) has a very good example of a 3000GT.

Was just thinking if your going to get pictures they may as well be of the best examples of the cars that are around. Great idea BTW :wink:

Pete :slight_smile:

Praise where itā€™s due Scottā€¦thatā€™s a great article, well done mate. Iā€™m one of the luckier - if you can call it that - Mk1 n/a owners, with the strangest looking rack at the back 8) 8)
Cheers,
Mike

Cheers Carl - it just seemed that most evenings iā€™d log on and find another ā€˜whatā€™s the differenceā€¦ā€™ post. GTO-MASā€™s guide actually does give a run-down of major differences, but how many new users actually bother to look in the Buyersā€™ Guideā€™s or FAQ section :roll: ?

Paul - thanks muchly for the pics, now I need:

Mk.1 3000GT Front & Rear
Mk.2 GTO Rear
Mk.3 GTO Front & Rear
Mk.4 GTO Front & Rear

Pete - will do! :slight_smile:

Iā€™ll probably re-write this on Monday eveningā€¦

Use the ones off my website if you wish mate. :wink:

Right, before I re-write this iā€™d like to clarify a couple of points:

1. Are all Mk.1 GTOā€™s Z16A chassis, regardless of whether they are equipped with 4WS or not?

2. Are Mk.3/4 cars available as a normal Z16A chassis or were they all MR/SR variants with the Z15A chassis?

Answers on a postcard or by carrier pigeon pleaseā€¦ :lol:

Still on the lookout for pictures of:

Mk.1 3000GT Front & Rear
Mk.2 GTO Rear
Mk.4 GTO Front & Rear

Cheers 8)