HELP! New website - testing on Mobiles & Tablets

@DeanMarkTaylor Will the site ever be made to work with other browsers or is it a case of Chrome or no go?

More support will come along, we are just trying to get a lot more things done at the moment, so just balancing getting people up and going and getting on with other important things that need doing.

Neil.

@Steven_Smith Itā€™s a matter of the other browsers fixing their bugs.

Every few days minor improvements are made to improve support for older browsers - but this can only go so far.

Support for file uploads from a mobile for example must have support in the browser for - so for some older Android and older iPhone / iPadā€™s - yes you must update your OS or switch to a supported browser.

For Firefox - Iā€™m guessing they will fix there bugs - but seem so much slower at providing these updates on the Android platform compared to the Windows / Mac / Desktop browsers.

@Marty_K @DeanMarkTaylor Used the Firefox Beta on Android and the category dropdown works.

However, I find when tagging people it doesnā€™t accoin for the keyboard and the tags appear off the top of the screen.

@Steven_Smith have you tried Chrome - does it work correctly?

Hey Dean!
Right just checked out this ā€˜select categoryā€™ issueā€¦
Iā€™m using Safari on both my eye pad & iPhone 4S (not updated to the new iOS23 or whatever it is now!) & I can select a category but why do we have to have the first few lines from each post in the drop down menu? On an iPad itā€™s not too bad as the screen is bigger but on a phone thereā€™s a lot to scroll down to get to the category you wantā€¦do we need ā€˜previewsā€™ of the first post in each category? Maybe have a 'select category. Then another to select sub category?
Just my thoughtsā€¦

Other than that it seems fine on both my phone & eye pad. Thanks for working so hard to you & Neil to get it sorted for us all, much appreciated :blush:

Ali :blush:

From my phoneā€¦

From the eye padā€¦

@DeanMarkTaylor Havenā€™t tried Chrome but I can confirm the same happens in my stock Android browser.

@goo_chummer Firstly thanks for testing and providing feedback.

Ahhh - these are not previews of posts but the descriptions of the categories as imported from the old site.
They do need tidying up and reducing in text length - Iā€™ll add it to ā€œThe Listā€. Thanks.

@Steven_Smith your stock Android is quite far behind - give Chrome a go for me and let me know - how it goes.

1 Like

@DeanMarkTaylor Turns out Chrome is my stock browser and I disabled it when I rooted my device.

Anyway Chrome doesnā€™t even open the tagging menu, also typing forum.gto.club searches rather than goes to the address.

1 Like

@Steven_Smith excellent stuff - this exactly as expected.

Yeap - things like the popup ā€œtagging menuā€ are sometimes disabled if there issues in the browser, perhaps one of the following:

1. The popup on screen keyboards donā€™t really allow room
  2. Opening the popup causes the keyboard to be activated and deactivated (go up and down) unexpectedly.
  3. Causes ā€œstressā€ on low powered mobile devices (both in the browser and user)

This is also to be expected only the very latest browsers know about the .club domains and as such think itā€™s best to search.
Typing http://forum.gto.club gets you directly there.

Did you update Chrome?

@DeanMarkTaylor I just re-enabled it to check and now itā€™s disabled again so I doubt it.

I deciced to find my oldest android device out from the dust and test it.

After about an hour of updating the software it now runs Android KitKat 4.4.4

Iā€™m currently typing this on a Google Nexus One, a ~4 year old phone purchased in January 2010 - about Ā£330 worth of phone at the time.

Here is what my screen looks like:

And here is what the phone looks like:

Iā€™m quite pleasantly surprised how quick and responsive it is compared to my iPhone 4S.

So this topic has been up for 10 days, had 32 posts and viewed 39 timesā€¦
ā€¦ I donā€™t think itā€™s going to get much more traction with the community so Iā€™m un-pinning the topic.

We have highlighted 4 ā€œbugsā€, 2 of which remain unresolved and are on a TODO list.

Other items resolved mainly from using an updated browser on the device, managed to get at least 2 users online and happy this way.

If anybody feels like testing the site with any new device they come across please feel free to post your results.

Thanks everybody for testing so far!

I moved a post to a new topic: Cookie error message whilst logging in

The category select bug still looks to be there still pops up and dissapears

@cantfindthegenepool Which device and browser are you using?

The same tablet that i was using when i noticed the bug a few months ago nexus 7 on latest os version and latest version of firefox, Thought i would log in and see if its been fixed :-1:

1 Like

@cantfindthegenepool Sadly Firefox on Android tablets isnā€™t fully supported as it has numerous bugs which are difficult to work around.

I know I have had the issue resolved on the Nexus 7, it must be a regression. Grrrrā€¦
ā€¦ thanks for the notification. Iā€™ll poke it back on the todo list.

@DeanMarkTaylor just to let you know my phone has a resize thing on it for the pics :relaxed:ā€¦didnā€™t even know

1 Like