Mk1 Active Aero Trays

Well…after nearly two year’s of researching to fabricate an Active Aero Tray, I’m finally very happy with the result.
As you can see from the pictures it’s as close to stock as possible, very close I think.
There is one visible difference that the hanging bar is now obsolete. The strength of the carbon fibre allows all the original steel work to be deleted. The way it is attached to the lifting bars, by countersinking the stock bolts means better air flow under the car, a goog thing.
Advantages also will be easier repairs if ever needed, it will always keep it’s shape and weight is next to nothing.

I am someone who takes on a project only to see if I can finish😊 and finish I have with this.

I’ve had to go down an unusual method to create various molds and methods, very time consuming but it had to be right, I found a way, created by myself that gave me the best result.

If there is enough interest these will be made available.

Price wise, I’ve seen on another forum a guy in Germany is making these trays available around £950 Worldwide with postage.

Price is £650, but Full GTOUK Member Club price is £600 + Postage.
These will only be made to order.

Steve

8 Likes

Fantastic job there @stevie, will probably be a customer of yours on this.

Terry :sunglasses:

2 Likes

What a superb job Stevie!!!

2 Likes

Did you use the kevlar mixed weave for strength mate ?

1 Like

No need for the kevlar buddy, 3K twill was ample, 4 layers and extra strips in important areas.
There is a fine line between losing flexibility and having too much strength.

I was constantly getting all my information and help from Easy Composites.

Steve

5 Likes

Ive used the 3k twill on alot of parts ive done and can vouch for how strong it is :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Dont have the funds just yet but this is on my list

1 Like

Good evening that looks fantastic I realise it’s for a mk1 I’m looking for a 99 gt so mk2 uk car is there any plans for these.
Again great job

1 Like

The active aero tray was the same on MK1 and MK2. The difference is seen on the UK cars - which had side wing type pieces on the tray. I do think the GTO tray as @stevie shows should fit a UK and just not use the side wings.

James

1 Like

Sorry to be a pain but what bits do you need off your old aero system to make it work.
Thanks

Do you mean the mechanism?

Steve

I have the motor and bar all working but have loads of bits of metal that came off with the scoop. I’ve tested motor and bar with no air dam and all works, but not sure if I need to keep all the rusted metal trims that were holding it on.
Thanks again

1 Like

Hopefully I have made these to eliminate the metal work. It should fit straight to the lifting mechanism.

You will need the bolts that fasten to the subframe as some of the bolts are shouldered to help when it rises and lowers.

Steve

Thanks Steve for the info how much notice do you need and how long would it take.

Where about are you in the uk buddy,

Steve

Me3 area near Medway / Rochester

I was thinking if you were close enough, it might be worth your while pipping over but Sheffield is a little too far.

Steve

Today I took my active aero tray for a test fit on a mk1.

It fit perfectly and when raised and lowered it was flawless. No need for the steelwork on the lips or the metal bar.

Steve

8 Likes

Did I see you had made the fins and tray for the mk2 recently?

1 Like

Did you fancy making N/A undertrays? :wink:

1 Like