New Owner need your wisdom

hi there i’ve just become the second owner of a very very tidy mitsubishi GTO twin turbo its a car i have desired for years and when i saw this on an off chance i just had too have it, so i knocked on made an offer and now i own the car, now the bit where i expect people too look down on me.
Im 24 years old (25 in january) can anybody recommend to me a worthwhile insurance company too try i understand and fully expect to wait till im 25 before i insure it as because of the price difference it just doesnt make sense too insure it for 2 months before the drop ( i had a 300 bhp scooby when i was 21 so i know it can be done). as i said i dont mind waiting the time as it gives me chance too check it over and polish it up and also what should i look out for?

The pennies in your pocket vanishing… :lol:

Hi and welcome to the forum

If its an import then this will significantly limit the number of companies that will quote you. Personally highways insurance have always worked out cheapest for myself, but everybodies circumstances are different and I don’t believe there is any company that is arbitrarily cheaper across the board. One thing I’ve learned is never to just go with what they claim is their best price without further haggling, as my most recent experience saw an instant £80 reduction on their ‘best price’ (after allegedly going to talk to their manager) when I mentioned I’d had a cheaper quote online.

Another option I’ve heard of, from a younger relative is that they called their insurer every year on their birthday, to basically say I’m now xx years old, does this reduce my policy, and apparently his insurers recalculate his policy based upon the higher age, and he recieived money back every year?? - I have never tried this, so can’t comment, but might be worth a try?

[quote=“AlanGTO”]

[quote][/quote]

The pennies in your pocket vanishing… :lol:

Hi and welcome to the forum/quote

Haha fair shout and thanks pal I can’t wait too get the gto on the road[/quote]

[quote]If its an import then this will significantly limit the number of companies that will quote you. Personally highways insurance have always worked out cheapest for myself, but everybodies circumstances are different and I don’t believe there is any company that is arbitrarily cheaper across the board. One thing I’ve learned is never to just go with what they claim is their best price without further haggling, as my most recent experience saw an instant £80 reduction on their ‘best price’ (after allegedly going to talk to their manager) when I mentioned I’d had a cheaper quote online.

Another option I’ve heard of, from a younger relative is that they called their insurer every year on their birthday, to basically say I’m now xx years old, does this reduce my policy, and apparently his insurers recalculate his policy based upon the higher age, and he recieived money back every year?? - I have never tried this, so can’t comment, but might be worth a try?[/quote]

It is an import I know in rather limited till in 25 anyway I’ll give highway a go and see what they come up with and I think I’ve tried your relatives idear before and I got some lecture about how you enter into a contract when you take your policy out and that’s the price you agreed on at that time but thank you I’ll certainly give it some investigating

Hi and welcome to the club.

You don’t mention which year or mk your car is. Some people have managed to get stupidly cheap insurance premiums on a Classic Car policy especially if it is 20+ years old.

My white car is insured on a reduced mileage motorsport policy with Competition Car Insurance for £650 fully comprehensive all modifications declared and covered up to £100k.

http://www.competition-car-insurance.co.uk/products1.asp

Others have had success with Adrian Flux, Fottman James, Sky Insurance, Prestige http://www.prestigekeepmoving.com/p/car-clubs.html and even Elephant and AXA have come up trumps.

My red 99 is insured fully comp with AXA for around £300.

Also, I have found in the past that adding a female to your policy as a named driver, your girlfriend, wife mother, sister…anyone, can lower your premium believe it or not!

Another thing, even if you garage your car, get quotes for driveway parking as this can sometimes be cheaper too!

André

Hi and welcome to the madhouse.
Would be very nice to see some pics of your new toy

It is a mk1 on a h plate 1991 I think? And thank you for your welcomes and the advice I’ll give them company’s a shot and my parking situation is kind of complicated because technically it’s a drive way, but it has electric security gates and cameras and there is a big agricultural building I could park in round the back lol, so could be garage or secure compound or private property lol and I will put some pics up tonight. As my dad keeps singing too me because apparently there is a song it’s a big red GTO

Welcome to the club,

Hi,

welcome to gtouk, I had my first gto at 24. Th best way is to just shop about for insurance, there is companies to recommend as your older, but its not so easy when your younger. I always found a plan to be helpful at any age.

Cheers,
Neil.

Hello and welcome, nice to see another sensible car in a farm (like mine lol)

You could always ask steve smith on here, he’s a wee lad too :slight_smile:

TBH I’m only 28. I use Adrian flux (I think) (£570) mines in a garage with CCTV and locked 5bar gates but didn’t really make much difference… I reduced my mileage allowance but then I increased my cars value… Put it up £200 !!

As for things to look out for… There’s plenty of info on here in the buyers guide section. And always someone on here will help if we can.

Otherwise get some photos up before you get nagged at too much (Ozzie, Gavin etc) :wink: :wink: :smiley:

Lolsz at butler, yeah sky, footman James, Adrian flux all seem to give good quotes. More importantly joining up and being a member of a car club normally gives you a reduction on your insurance. This is exactly why I joined up to start with, my 1700 quote came down to 1400 when I was 23.

Pictures please!!! :lol:

i full intend too join up shortly i’ve got the car now and im in love :smiley: interior is immaculate i have taken some pictures but they were at night so doesnt look its best but here is a taster for you.
http://s602.photobucket.com/user/Conn3h/media/IMG_1727.jpg.htmlhttp://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt108/Conn3h/IMG_1727.jpg http://s602.photobucket.com/user/Conn3h/media/IMG_1726.jpg.htmlhttp://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt108/Conn3h/IMG_1726.jpg

Ahh sweet, is that wind deflectors I spot, rare part!!!

good eyes, yes it is wind deflectors it has, ive also noticed it has a vent on one of the headlights which ive not seen on another yet?, also has things like a toad alarm, ecu rebuild in 2006, a full rewire and cd changer and full custom stainless system on it, purrs nicely

Head Light cover was made in Japan by Kaze and is quite rare to see

Do both the headlights raise together as there might be a fault if not

Welcome to the club and if i can help you please just call me

Regards Rob

[quote]Head Light cover was made in Japan by Kaze and is quite rare to see

Do both the headlights together as there might be a fault if not

Welcome to the club and if i can help you please just call me

Regards Rob[/quote]

Interesting I wondered why no other I’ve seen has this vent and the passenger light isn’t raising properly but it’s been stood for a bit and the last owner swears it worked fine before he parked up so I’m guessing it may want freeing up and oiling, I was gonna take it out and investigate when I get time and I may take you up on that offer rob

That is a kaze copy the kaze is slightly larger, still it is a hard thing to find. The headlights are often sold quite cheap anyway worse case. I could not even give them away when I was selling them.

Cheers,
Neil.

[quote]hi there i’ve just become the second owner of a very very tidy mitsubishi GTO twin turbo its a car i have desired for years and when i saw this on an off chance i just had too have it, so i knocked on made an offer and now i own the car, now the bit where i expect people too look down on me.
Im 24 years old (25 in january) can anybody recommend to me a worthwhile insurance company too try i understand and fully expect to wait till im 25 before i insure it as because of the price difference it just doesnt make sense too insure it for 2 months before the drop ( i had a 300 bhp scooby when i was 21 so i know it can be done). as i said i dont mind waiting the time as it gives me chance too check it over and polish it up and also what should i look out for?[/quote]

Hi and welcome,
If you need any assistance with insurance please feel free to drop me a line at Adrian Flux. If you wanted to PM me your details I’d be happy to arrange for one of my quotes team to give you a call back.
Regards,
Dan

[quote]
Hi and welcome,
If you need any assistance with insurance please feel free to drop me a line at Adrian Flux. If you wanted to PM me your details I’d be happy to arrange for one of my quotes team to give you a call back.
Regards,
Dan[/quote]

Hi dan I Deffo will be ringing you about an insurance quote, in your experience will it make a difference with yourselves waiting till I’m 25?