New owner with non-starter

it sounds like a lack of fuel was there a lot of fuel coming out the pipe under force you might have a weak fuel pump

Well as a test I put the feed fuel hose in a bottle and cranked engine and it looked like fuel was getting through quite easily. I am going to check the ECU tomorrow for leaking capacitors.

ok i found this dont no if it will help but this is the area to look in on the board

When you are trying to start it (on the times it didn’t start) does it make any attempt to start? A cough, splutter or anything. Or is it just turning over with nothing happening?

Hi,

It seems to be coughing and spluttering when turning over as if it wants to start. You can hear the exhaust coughing and I can smell burnt fuel coming out.

This is why I think it is an ECU related issue or something electrical. Especially as it did start for a second the other day.

The other thing worth checking is compression.

Well I think I found the problem:

Found some corrosion around this capacitor which I presume is from when it has leaked. Time for a new ECU?

Peter

Yes, that looks like the circuit board has suffered with electrolyte corrosion to the copper traces. This is very common for cars built in the early 90s, when the capacitors were not built so robustly. You probably know already, but the “ECU Doctor”, based near Plymouth, is the fella to send your ECU to. He’ll take a look at it and quote to repair it. Good service too.

Good luck with it,

Mike

1 Like

Yep that’s had it Ecu Dr is very good mine cost £220 to repair they are all about the same I do have a perfect one like I said and is on offer to club members only at knocked down price fully tested on my car runs perfect what numbers your Ecu assuming it’s a twin turbo ?

Right chaps that was infact the automatic ecu which I opened up and not the engine ecu! Anyway the engine ECU has no signs of leaking capacitors. Would a malfunctioning automatic ECU prevent my car from starting?

Peter

Can’t see how unless it’s thinking its in drive when it’s not but not if it started before

1 Like

I had similar fault on a old auto i had… turned out to be a dud aftermarket alarm

It looks like an aftermarket alarm was present but has been removed.

So ignoring the ECU what is the next thing I can try?

I’d check electrics as in how alarm was removed… seen some right messes left after someones been having a play

i would also check your timing marks are lined up and compression

1 Like

I wouldn’t think the alarm would be the issue as he has both fuel and ignition. As I mentioned check compression. Then see if you can find someone near you with a MAF you can borrow to try. And as @markie1978 said check timing.

A compression test will do no harm, however, after ensuring you have fuel delivery to each cylinder, and a spark, my next check would be the timing. The crank timing sprocket has a punch mark on it, and the 4 camshaft sprockets also have punchmarks on them. They should all be dead opposite their respective markers at a given moment.
Good luck with finding the cause.

Mike

I thought I would come back with an update.

The plugs on the front where damp and smelt of fuel which would suggest fuel is getting in the cylinders without any issue. I did notice there was a black substance on them which looked to be oil so I cleaned the front 3 and I thought I would check the back bank which was a pain in the arse to get to but they where the same so I cleaned the back bank of plugs as well and again the back plugs smelt of petrol and were damp with fuel.

Anyway before I did all the spark plug removal and cleaning I thought I would chance it and crank the engine. The engine did start for a second again then for some reason cut out. It did this yesterday and again on Sunday. After messing with the plugs the engine started for a second yet again. I am not sure this is because I have left the engine for a while before trying to crank it over. I can only presume now that if you give the engine a rest it will try again and run for a second but then cuts out. When the engine is cranking after it cuts out I can smell burnt fuel coming from exhaust and stuttering so it does look like the engine is trying to start but something is preventing it from running. It looks to be an electrical issue perhaps

This is becoming a head scratcher. The ECI fuse hasn’t blown. MFI plug looks to be fine and I have unplugged ECU to reset it. It is very strange how the car will run for a second but then stop and refuse to start until I come back to it the next day. For the second it runs it sounds spot on and smooth so this would probably elimate any cylinders not firing or timing being off. :confused:

Not necessarily as if timing is right out it will try and fire out of cycle then flood worth checking

Other possibility is your CAS is shot , that will stop it running

Craig :smile: