Newbie / Adam

Hi all,
I’ve been looking at quite a few GTO/3000’s on line. Went to view one last week for around 6k, but there was a lot of rust underneath with some holes I could see into. Most of the rear suspension components where very rusty… I don’t even drive it and walked away.

I’m looking at spending 7k to 9k… Found one but it’s miles away.

This one…
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202008021991412?atmobcid=soc3

I was wondering if I could get some on here who lives near to have a look at it? Not sure if it’s ok to ask or if I’m been cocky?

Kindest regards,

Adam

Hi @adam6 welcome to GTOUK.

You did the right thing to walk away if you’re not sure.

There are a couple for sale at the moment and some of our current members are potentially selling their cars @marlowboy

I don’t know anything about the car link you shared but perhaps @jerry_SC may know as I think he has used that company before.

Good luck with the search :+1:

James

The sales place is Motor Hub… Do a search on here and then search on the internet… You might want to walk away from this one too

2 Likes

Their reputation is not great to say the least. But I got two cars from them, one was great, one needed some work but I am very happy with it ateotd.
These are low value cars in their inventory and I doubt if they know that much about them really but you have to look at it, make sure as much as you can that it seems ok, for rust, how it runs etc and buy as seen, not expecting a dealer back up, bargain a bit if you can and take it away not planning to go back to them.
That is the chance you take I suppose buying any car but to me its got to be an as seen deal from M H.
(Don’t think I would buy a very high end motor 100k plus of them), but good luck.
Hope this makes some sense, even the worst of dealers must get good cars sometimes this may be one?

Thanks for the info chaps.

Looks like a road trip may need to be in order this weekend, but…
I’ve called them up twice now for some additional pictures of the car underneath, they have not gotten back to me yet.
And yes this car is pence compared to the others they sell so, they may not be too bothered about it…

Ideally looking at a later second-gen without popups.

Did have a look at @marlowboy 's but looks he’s got someone in line already.

And it’s got beautiful Pop Up’s, the only one to have…………

2 Likes

With you on that Martin.

Terry :sunglasses:

2 Likes

That one’s been for sale since last summer when I was looking / got mine. At that price you’d expect it to have sold by now. Doesn’t mean it’s a bad one but it’s a little alarm bell.

Oh, and you’re dead right - mk2 headlights all the way! :grin:

1 Like

Hi,

Im a new member, not done a proper intro yet but motorhub have a serious bad rep. They’ve even been fined for bad practices, it seems if you have any post sales issues you might be better off speaking to the nearest brick wall.
Its always a good thing to check the dealers rep online.

Go and offer them 3k :slight_smile:

Greg

3 Likes

If you are interested I have a blue 96 MR with 13T turbos + all supporting mods, I’m trying to get her MOT renewed this month with Westfields. I’ll have a proper advert made once it’s ready.

The car was up for 5.9k last year.

I called them about putting an mot on it and they could but then no negotiation on price.

I didnt go to see the car in person.

1 Like

I think that says it all really, not even going to entertain any additional contact…
mk2’s look so nice!

2 Likes

If the car has been up for sale that long, thats a big alarm.

Sorry all,
Just saw " Consider replying to several posts at once"
:grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Hi @Anh, My wife will be on the insurance.
Just looked… MR’s don’t have ABS??

I don’t believe ABS comes with MR models standard, the thing with MRs is some buyers back in the day could add stuff back on as options.

To make things worse, my car has upgraded K-Sport brake kit at the front, so you are more likely to lock up! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Mitsubishi put abs on to mr,s from ,96, mk 3 style. Better without it, does not go wrong !!

It was still an option on all MRs from 1995 onwards, so if you have it on your MR it was because the original purchaser paid for it to be included when the car was purchased.

1 Like

Hi all,
Just bought a 1998 GTO, needs loads of work and am really looking forward to bringing this one back to life!

Got two options that will become clear when I pull the engine out and break it down for inspection.
1, It will, 100% need a rebuild… Knock knock, who’s there? > Mr Rod
2, See if anyone has a complete engine, long or short block to drop back in.

Ideally, I would like to salvage the original engine…

Definitely, no excuse now to join full annual membership… Looking very forward to contributing!

So an official intro,
I’m Adam, it’s a pleasure to meet you all.
I’m super dyslexic so, my wife is going to be editing!
Started my career as an aircraft engineer, primarily working on variable pitch propellers of all makes and sizes. Worked in Australia in a similar role but in NDT (Non Destructive Testing).
Came back to the UK, career change into electronics and SMT PCB assembly.
Career change again into the medical field of stent grafts, VNV (Verification and validation).
And currently working as a production engineer in DNA sequencing.

I design and build production equipment, maintain it and do a lot of calibration.
Solidworks is often used at work, have some experience in the C programing language, and love building circuit boards in Eagle PCB and Altium designer.
Some PLC experience but manly I’ll use Arduino and Pi for most protect as I get to make my own PCB’s

I love all Jap cars from the '90s, and that’s about it…
Modern cars and supercars don’t do anything for me, can’t stand fake pops and bangs…
A car with just ABS is all I need to have fun…

Currently, my wife and I have an RX8 40th Anniversary and a 300ZX TT project.
The 300ZX and GTO are cars we really wanted when we were in our early teens growing up in the '90s.

Adam :grin:

4 Likes

Welcome! Where abouts are you in our wonderful Country are you? photos would be nice ….location or car, you choose!

Welcome to GTOUK and good luck with your project.Reads like you will have the skills to handle all you need to do.