Well I’ve done it, wish me luck!

Thanks, bit of a negative ‘first post’ though so apologies.

Although a few genuine concerns I hope for OP’s sake I’m proved wrong and all is well.

Richard, that’s a lovely positive Post to wake up to…not!
It does seem a lot of money but there are very few TT’s around as projects. Can I ask, how do you know it was kept in a Lock Up, I would have thought if it had been the Paint would not have faded? I will know more tomorrow on the state of the underneath, I’m expecting some problems, my Welder is on standby but we shall see.
Bit of good news, cos I need some, the owner of the Garage has told me her Grandson has the adjoining Garage and he has only gone had a …Ramp installed and said I could use it if needed, I don’t think it will be off of there to start with!
Roll on tomorrow!

2 Likes

Blimey Martin, what time do the ferries run from the IOW?

Mike

To ■■■■■■ early if you ask me! It seems as the day progresses the timings go a bit Pear shape so he likes to get the first one across, I think around 4-30, maybe he has sleeping problems! Hope my alarm works as the only time I see that early is going to the Airport for Holiday’s! It’s a bit worrying but I’m sort of getting excited about tomorrow and at my age that can be a dangerous thing!

I’m excited for you Martin. This is a bit like a barn find.

Yes, plenty to do, but what a great project!

Keep us posted, eh!

Mike

Yea apologies Martin as it’s quite a cynical view on my part. Was just my thoughts when looking into it.

I had originally put a post up on Facebook looking for a TT and someone had mentioned it there. There was some information provided.

You seem optimistic and ready to take on any issues which I suppose is the best way with any project.

Honestly, goodluck with the entire thing and hopefully my cynical views on the possible state of the car turn out to be just fears.

3 Likes

Welcome, hope all goes well.

1 Like

Well it’s all nice and warm in it’s new Garage!
Quicky, it has a badly leaking Rear Rack and it has a replacement S/H one in the Boot that came from a Mitsy Breaker so guess it will be OK or at least it was when removes at least 7 years ago! What would your choice be? I believe it’s a pain to swap, Subframe needs to drop a bit to allow its removal, if I do a Delete, does the Frame still need to be dropped, looking for the easiest! Thanks folks…

Start a build thread and list off all the issues, all thebright advice will follow

1 Like

Car is now safely in its new Home, a nice dry Garage.

Quick look around and it doesn’t look any better!

Checked the Spares in the Boot, a treasure trove including sets of Brake Pads, T/Stat, Rad Hoses, 2 Genuine Misty Prop Shaft Carriers, 2001 (!) Gates Cam Belt various Relays, Switches. Rear Steering Rack, (existing one now leaking badly) Gauges as well.

Nice surprise it’s had a full set of BC Racing Suspension Struts and Springs costing £699 plus installation fitted. All new Bridgestone Tyres but obviously old but no sign of deterioration or cracking.

Up in the air and at some time in its life is was undersealed, now a lot of it is flaking off but it seems to have kept rot away. Surface rust but not bad, happy Days!

1 Like

Sounds like it had a decent life before getting stored

Looking at the old receipts it certainly had some money spent in the past! Bit worrying about Prop Carriers and Thermostat and Hoses, wonder if they were to be replaced before taking off road…we will see!

1 Like

Hi all, little update and some advice please!
Got her up on Stands ready for the first job, Rear Rack replacement. Looking at youtube and at the actual job it seems very tight! According to YouTube the Sub frame needs dropping, does anyone who has done this wonderful job remember how much it’s has to be dropped to allow the rack to come out? If possible can the job be completed without disconnecting Brakes and Prop? I guess the Exhaust needs to be removed? Any advice much appreciated.
I have spoken to the previous owner today, a very interesting conversation, he had owned it for many years but his real passion is motor bikes and this just got left! His Wife insisted he got rid of it and he did for very little money so the guy who I bought it from has made a killing but hey ho, it’s only money!
I’ve also ordered a complete Cam Belt kit from the USA, I have in the past used them on previous cars and very impressed with pricing, quality and delivery times, hope it continues.
Please let me know if you can offer advice on the Rack swap, ta xxxx

Not much help, but I think a few members on here have removed their rear subframes for a total de-rust etc Martin. Whether the removal of the rear steering rack necessitated a subframe drop at least I am not sure, never done it - yet. Having said that, I believe the subframe might have to be dropped slightly at least. Hope you’ll get a few replies regarding this.
You, of course are a Past Master at all things propshaft…I remember those afternoons in Acton? well.
Good luck with the overhaul mate.

Mike

2 Likes

Thanks Mike, now just bought a Compressor and Impact gun to make it a little easier! Hope the Garage owner doesn’t mind the noise!

If you look up jensen and sully i think he named the thread, he has his whole subframe off and respraying each bit, the end result is beautiful

Unbolt the four corners and with a bit of wiggle it should drop enough ( 15 - 20 cm ) to remove the rack.
The rear

1 Like

Hi Martin,
Welcome back.

Why don’t you take advantage of the full membership as it’s discounted 50% at the moment? There you will find all the technical sections.

Steve

3 Likes

Thank you for the welcome back…am I missing something re the 50%, if the membership runs from April the I would be paying 50% for 4 months? Tell me I’m wrong please! It’s not that I’m tight, just careful!

No it would be for 4 months :+1: but you get full access to the boards and probably get the GTOUK xmas present too :sunglasses:

Also saves us deleting any tech posts until you join :rofl:Obviously intended with xmas spirit

4 Likes